Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #117300 11/30/11 03:41 PM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My DD10 just got a paper back that was marked one letter grade lower than it should have been based only on a word that my DD repeatedly did not capitalize in her paper (the subject of her paper). The teacher thinks the word should be capitalized but I, a writer and editor, know that it should not be. Do I say something to the teacher since this is the only thing she marked wrong on her paper (although she marked it wrong eight times)since it brought her grade down an entire letter grade or should I just not say anything? Also, if I should say something how should I do it? A note, an e-mail, make an appointment with this teacher (not my DD's main teacher, but lovely from what I understand)? I don't want to make a federal case out of it, but it doesn't seem right that she should be marked off for something she didn't do incorrectly. Thoughts?

She thought she could, so she did.
    Personally, I would say something. Otherwise your daughter is going to be forced to write in error going forward.

Ask for a minute, go in armed with your Bedford reader or something similar and show her where she is in err. Don't make a huge deal out of it but let her know that your DD worked really hard and was upset by the grade. Tell her what you do for a living. The teacher will either apologize and change the grade or not. Going forward your DD needs to continue to make the same "mistake" so that she doesn't inadvertantly relearn it wrong. I'm willing to bet that even if the teacher doesn't change her grade, she won't make the same mistake again.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    P
    P
    I'd find something definitive like in an editor's book of ____ (sorry, I'm not an editor so I don't know the names of what you'd use!) - ie, something official and not to be argued with. I'd show that to my dd, and have my dd take the paper in with the book reference and explain it to the teacher. She can let the teacher know that her mom's a writer and an editor and that she was following her mom's direction in not capitalizing, and ask that the teacher reconsider her grade. If she was younger, I'd make that call to the teacher myself, but I think that by 5th grade most children are able to begin to advocate for themselves in small ways such as this. If the teacher still doesn't relent or disagrees or generally gives your dd a hard time over it, I'd follow up with an email.

The reason I'd have my dd do it is that a) it's a good opportunity for your dd to learn how to advocate for herself and b) I think the teacher will be less likely to be put off or annoyed if the student asks for reconsideration rather than just the parent.

OTOH, take that all with a grain of salt - my kids have always attended schools that are big into self-advocacy - it might not be the same elsewhere.

Good luck!

polarbear

In addition to the above advice, just a quick caveat. I would recommend checking several style manuals just to be sure she doesn't have any leg to stand on. You may find that she is using a reference that is in disagreement with the way you believe the word should be capitalized. I have consulted several editorial style references about particular issues in the past, and I've gotten different answers (so I chose what I liked best). It is hard to say there is a "gold standard" for most things. (But then again, if it's a very obvious mistake, you should be able to bring in several references saying the same thing.)

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, I looked in the three different dictionaries (as well as an online dictionary) and they all agree: don't capitalize unless it's a proper noun. I've talked to DD, who says she will talk to the teacher tomorrow, take in one dictionary for support, and, if necessary, mention my master's degree in writing and editing. Thanks for your help!

I would also encourage your daughter to self-advocate. I think it's enough to show that it is considered acceptable not to capitalize the term at issue, though the case would be stronger if the teacher had gone against every major authority. Out of curiosity, what's the word?

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I'm sure we'll all agree with you on that one. I think that's great that your DD is willing to self-advocate. Let us know how it turns out. Even if the teacher doesn't change the grade, you can tell your DD that all us nameless folks over here know she's right. wink

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/30/11 05:05 PM.
    A
    A
    As a fellow writer, editor, and writing teacher, I have not only worn your shoes but worn them to a frazzle. Sometimes I challenged them; sometimes I left it alone.

Once my kids were in high school, I would proof their papers if they asked me to, and if the high school teachers in their AP classes made that kind of error, I first encouraged my kids to challenge the grade. If the teacher pushed back, I would send a friendly note just letting them know the kids had discussed their issue with me and had they considered .... and then would cite the specific rule in question. I personally found the AP high school English teachers the most defensive.

If your daughter is in a lower grade, depending on how much that one score affects her grade, I'd be tempted to simply make my daughter aware of the teacher's discrepancy so that she knew the particular rule appropriately. But I'd likely not make a big deal out of it unless it became a pattern. But that's me - it was usually just not worth putting the teacher on the defensive with half a year to go if it wasn't going to make a difference in my child's overall grade.

U
    U
    Are you absolutely sure that was why the grade went down? (Maybe I am an idealist--but do papers really get marked down a whole letter grade due to a minor capitalization issues?)

How important is this paper? If it's a 10-page paper that counts for 1/4 of her grade, I would go to bat. If it's a minor little assignment, I would let it alone. By the way, I am a writer and editor, too.

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It was a one-page paper that that scored a 92 (B+) with 8 of just this one word marked as needing to be capitalized and no other marks or comments on the paper. So, I'm thinking 8 marks, 8 points off. I actually think it was well-written, with good flow, organization, and content (as much as can be said of a paper that had to be precisely one page!) and no other spelling or grammatical errors.

In the whole scheme of things, I'm not sure a 10yo's paper is ever really all that important. However, she likes to get good grades and she would hate in the end for this paper to make the difference between a B and an A. I've advised her that it is of utmost importance that she is very polite and doesn't come right out and accuse her of being wrong (which I don't think she'd do), but that she can say she was wondering if she could take a look at her paper to talk about it, at which point she could tell her that all the dictionaries she checked told her not to capitalize it. I also reiterated that she is to just drop it if the teacher holds her ground. DD is not the argumentative type, so hopefully it will go smoothly and be a non-issue. The teacher is a really nice person, so hopefully she'll be receptive and my DD will have a posititive self-advocacy experience.

Thanks again, everyone, for your advice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM