Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    My son was finally screened this morning for the gifted program at his school. Not sure if the best time to test a 8yr. old boy is on a Monday morning.

Test should be scored by the school psychologist tomorrow and hope to have some info wheh we have a scheduled IEP meeting for speech on Wed.

My Question.... What do I need to know? What questions should we ask, if his screening does put him in the gifted prgram at his school? What do we ask if the scores are not high enough? Or if they are high only in math or reading?

We know he needs to be challenged more and is "bored". Last night he was in tears because he feels like the 2nd grade AR books etc are too easy and not interesting. AR is pushed really hard at his school. We went through the AR website and school library website and hope to have found some help.

Do you have to be in the gifted programs to be placed in 3rd grade math?

I need to be prepared... HELP!

D
    D
    My dd is being tested today. I feel solidarity with you!

I think it varies so much from school to school that it is hard to answer your questions. frown Hopefully the test results will help you and his school know to how serve him better.

I wish I had more help for you!

C
    C
    At least you will be getting an answer to how he did quite quickly. I'd wait and see how that comes out (I know, easier said than done) and then see what can be done if his scores don't qualify.

Many schools will consider a child for accelerated class placement in the one area where his scores came out high if that is the case. As to whether he needs a gifted id for subject acceleration in math, that too will depend on your district. Here achievement scores are what are used for subject acceleration placement, not ability scores. Given his age, I wonder if they might be more willing to consider that type of placement even if the group screening test doesn't come out quite high enough. You could argue, afterall, that he could be a 3rd grader anyway.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you for thoughts...

I think that it is one thing when we question ourselves and such another when your children start to question themselves. I felt so bad for him last night. He was so frustrated and you could tell that it was not just about AR but about his schooling in general. He struggles becasue he is very social.. he loves all things that boys do, star wars and legos. But, he knows that there is so much more to talk about and so much more to learn that he is frustrated with the other kids as well. It seems like he is in the this place right now of WHY. Why do the other kids not get it and why are they not intersted in more.

I do hope not matter what... This is going to help us focus.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM