Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #87669 10/20/10 11:41 AM
    M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi everyone!

It has been a while since I went hibernating and trying to find some answers.

1. Subject acceleration is �illegal� in our school district. I have email and left messages for a few nearby school districts around our area. The couple of the schools that I was able to talk to a human said that subject acceleration can only be done via in-class differentiation. Others never returned the email or phone calls.

2. With this new school year, our school district simply stated that it follows Dr. Donald Treffinger�s Levels of Service. The website has removed the specific service for Level IV gifted students at the elementary school, i.e. no more individualized educational plan can be found within the school district�s GT section for primary school level students.

3. We have tried to look for Level 4 schools (Dr. Ruf) around here, but without success for the following reasons. 1. We cannot move to a new place with the current market and job situation. We looked into potentially renting a place�. But one family told us they got busted and got disqualified from the special GT program. So, we have decided not to take this route. 2. We are not crazy about private schools because of the cost and religious affiliation. 3. I am terrified of the crazy traffic around this Northern Texas area. We have a friend who, big kudos to her, spends 3 hours every day commuting to give her two children the best education she could find. I don�t think that is an option at this time. Plus, we could have a lot learning fun with those three hours.

4. There is a charter school about 20-30 minutes away, but it is almost impossible to get in via lottery and moving there is not an option (can�t afford to live there). Also, we are still searching for someone who actually goes there to get the inside scoop. We will keep you posted if we win the lottery.

5. DD (6.5, first grade) is happy at school with all the easy work�. Sigh. Do you leave it alone because she is happy? But re-reading parts of Dr. Ruf�s book� �Doing nothing at all, which is what most often happens, is an unconscionable waste of natural ability.� But what to do?

This probably sounds kind of silly, but I felt like I went through the five stages of grieving after our numerous meetings with the school and gifted program coordinator.

We thought of home school, but just terrified that I might ended up doing more harm than good for the kiddies. How do you wear both the �mom� and �teacher� hat without jeopardizing the wonderful mother-child relationship we have right now? Also, I am a terrible writer (as evident by these posts) and speller�. How am I suppose to teach them if I can�t even get it right after 40 years of learning the language? �Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?� Hum�.

Hope all of you are having a great school year!
    Mag

Mag #87673 10/20/10 12:07 PM
    1. We cannot move to a new place with the current market and job situation. We looked into potentially renting a place�. But one family told us they got busted and got disqualified from the special GT program. So, we have decided not to take this route.

I'm confused. They don't allow people to rent? Or did the family rent an apartment for the address but really live somewhere else?

We thought of home school, but just terrified that I might ended up doing more harm than good for the kiddies. How do you wear both the �mom� and �teacher� hat without jeopardizing the wonderful mother-child relationship we have right now? Also, I am a terrible writer (as evident by these posts) and speller�. How am I suppose to teach them if I can�t even get it right after 40 years of learning the language?

I second this question. This is my biggest fear about home schooling: would I be able to provide an education worthy of my DD's needs?

I live in Texas too but in Austin so we do have some options around here. But I was wondering what you mean by Ruf's level 4 school. It's been a while since I read her book but did she have specific schools defined as level 4?

Mag #87674 10/20/10 01:00 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Mag
    We thought of home school, but just terrified that I might ended up doing more harm than good for the kiddies. How do you wear both the �mom� and �teacher� hat without jeopardizing the wonderful mother-child relationship we have right now?

We fell into homeschooling after 2 years of public school. My kid was never happy in PS, so I really knew we had to make a change. But I don't think it's possible to do "harm" to your kids! Especially at this age. I consider myself more a facilitator than an actual teacher. And I don't strive to race them through curriculum and have them spend hours and hours a day at a table. I like them to be faced with challenge on a regular basis. But they aren't challenged constantly by all their curriculum. By being more laid back, they have time to read, explore, experiment, or create on their own. If you don't want to homeschool, by all means don't. But I just wanted to say that you could probably pull your child out of school for a few years do nothing except visit your library and explore and they'd still be fine.

I didn't see any problems with your spelling or writing BTW! smile

Mag #87675 10/20/10 01:02 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Mag
    1. Subject acceleration is �illegal� in our school district.

Could you elaborate? Is there a local statute? School board policy?
    How far have you pursued it up the chain of command? Have you exhausted your options at the local level since moving doesn't seem to be an option?
    Sorry to answer you post with more questions. You seem to feel that there are no good options. I'm just trying to figure out if you missed an option.

Katelyn'sM om #87684 10/20/10 02:51 PM
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    [
    We thought of home school, but just terrified that I might ended up doing more harm than good for the kiddies. How do you wear both the �mom� and �teacher� hat without jeopardizing the wonderful mother-child relationship we have right now? Also, I am a terrible writer (as evident by these posts) and speller�. How am I suppose to teach them if I can�t even get it right after 40 years of learning the language?

I second this question. This is my biggest fear about home schooling: would I be able to provide an education worthy of my DD's needs?

sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now, and I don't have much advice to give, as I have never dealt with schools as a parent, but as a teacher and a home educator, I can answer this one in two ways. 1) you have all the motivation in the world, so if anyone was going to figure it out, it would be you. and 2) I KNOW the literacy and educational standard of many teachers, and it's pretty abysmal. Sad, but true.

Katelyn'sM om #87693 10/20/10 06:57 PM
    M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Katelyn'sMom

Sorry for the confusion.... Yes, the family rented a place for the purpose of getting into the school, but lives somewhere else.

My fault as far as Ruf's general school classification are TYPES (not level). Type IV are magnet schools and Type V are schools that facilitate continuous progress throughout subject levels without regard for the children's age).

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of options are available in Austin?

Thanks,
    Mag

kimck #87696 10/20/10 07:07 PM
    M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi kimck,

We "tried" home school this summer.... My kids got "scared" (and started sobbing) because apparently I looked at them with "big eyes" when they were not paying attention. crazy

Home school is not completely ruled out at this time..... especially there are so many great advices here on this board. We are still considering. That is, if I don't scare them and cause PTSD with my big eyes. With home school, DCs will have more time to read and explore, like you point out. These days, they complain about not having enough time to play and read books of their choices.

Thanks for the support,
    Mag

knute974 #87698 10/20/10 07:34 PM
    M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi knute974,

As far as subject acceleration is illegal at our school district....

Well, initially I was being told that it is a state policy by the district gifted coordinator. I pointed out TEA�s Chapter 89: Adaptations for Special Populations: Subchapter A. Gifted/Talented Education and called around nearby school districts. Then I was told that it was a district policy. I could not find it in ink anywhere. This rule only applies to K-4. Starting in 5th grade, kids are divided into 3 tracks in math and language arts. So, we just have to get through K-4, then things should improve.

This school year, before I even asked, DD6's (1st grade) teacher told me that over the summer, the school's GT teacher asked the district for permission to do pull-out math enrichment classes. The district denied the request. DD's teacher could not understand why and no explanation was given. Not sure if it has to do with the big budget cut around here.

I know this is not really part of your question.... but to be fair, DD's teacher this year acknowledged the fact that DD is 2-3 grade above her peers in math. So, she put together a math challenging folder for DD. We are very touched by her effort. But, she pointed out that DD does not want to feel left out during math time and prefers to play the games with her classmates. For the last 7 weeks of school, DD has done 5? pages in the challenge folder. And, we still have to talk with the teacher to bump up the level. We are also trying to make sure it is "challenging" and not busy work. DD's teacher was very honest, basically stated that it is near impossible for her to differentiate because she has 17 other students to teach.

Now back to your question as far as going up the chain of command.... we have only gone as far as the district gifted program coordinator. Right now, we have a very good relationship with DD's principle, GT teacher, and school teachers. With a second child potentially going to kindergarten next year, we are trying to balance between keeping a good relationship vs. meeting DC's needs.

Hope this answers your questions....
    Mag

GeoMamma #87699 10/20/10 07:39 PM
    M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi GeoMamma,

Thanks for the support.... blush

This year is a bit better in the sense that DD6 is in the GT and reading pull-out program. We just wish that these programs occur more than once per week.

I think fear plays such a big factor in our decisions.... and knowing there is support always helps, thanks!

Mag

Mag #87720 10/21/10 06:54 AM
    Originally Posted by Mag
    Hi Katelyn'sMom

Sorry for the confusion.... Yes, the family rented a place for the purpose of getting into the school, but lives somewhere else.

My fault as far as Ruf's general school classification are TYPES (not level). Type IV are magnet schools and Type V are schools that facilitate continuous progress throughout subject levels without regard for the children's age).

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of options are available in Austin?

Thanks,
    Mag

Thanks for the clarification.

Besides the PS which depending on the area you live in could have a high ratio of gifted kids but I have recently concluded that this is due to the high performance of the area and most of the kids are probably above average to moderately gifted.

There are also charter schools and lots of private schools including a gifted one. There are a lot of religious based private here but we do have many that aren't associated with any religion.

DD goes to a private Spanish Immersion program. They are fairly new, only open for 3 years and are still finding their way. They are in the process of getting certified as an IB school which I'm for but it means changes and I get a little nervous about too many changes. We plan on keeping her there through 5th grade which is as far as the school goes and this is only as long as the school is working for us. They are unusual in that they don't conform to the typical age requirements. Most schools have cut off dates for when a child meets age limits but this one seems to move kids up to the next grade level on their birthday. I know they do for the preschool area and need to ask about the elementary side. I see such flaws in this approach. If a child has a birthday in December (for instance) and gets moved up they will be at a disadvantage. Since DD's birthday is in August we don't really have the concern. But I also know that DD might need to be accelerated once she has mastered the Spanish which is close upon us. When I talked to them about acceleration they were all for it but this is just talk ... time will tell if they are but how easily they move kids up on birthdays makes me think I won't have too much problems and the parents will just assume she had a birthday so I won't get too many questions about it.

Though DD's school is not classified as gifted it is academically advanced by 2 years. She is 4 and they are already working on words and addition/subtraction. Most of the kids at the school are bright and some are definitely gifted. So we lucked out finding the place.

I am looking at a Progressive Prep school for when DD is in the 6th grade. I really like the approach of the progressive. Instead of focusing on test test test, the students get to play a big part in their academics. Lots of projects.

Austin has quite a few options and I know a few people who have their child in the Charter school located near downtown. It is suppose to be top notch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM