Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #85951 09/26/10 05:22 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    This is going to be a overly-simplistic post; but I need to know that I am not just siding with my 'only' DS5, and his bad behavior. Background...he has been in swimming lessons for a year now at a local swim club. He went from not wanting to lay on his back to float (for safety) to swimming a lap (slowly). He is currently working on perfecting his strokes and breathing properly. He is not a strong kid; so we like that he likes this and want him to continue swimming year-round. He runs really fast and plays soccer; but his upper body strength has always been lacking. Anyway, he loves swimming; but his current teacher gets stressed easily. He is very sensitive to stressful people (one of the reasons that we homeschool). If he says 'no' to her, usually because he is tired, she automatically sends him to a "timeout," which we don't do at home. He "earns" and is given choices to get him to do something we want; but he is generally compliant. If you act disappointed in him, he cries and the situation worsens. The teacher does this often. She does a lot of deep-sighing with him. He just wants to have fun while he is doing his laps. She just isn't that way. She is very direct and matter-of-fact. He is a strong-willed kid; but a very sweet child, especially now that his behavior is based on mutual respect here at home. The first teacher who got him to do something - which was a challenge, had to have fun with him and give him short breaks of splashing. The next class he was in, he was the best behaved in class. DS needed to be pursuaded initially to learn to swim; but he had to since we have a pool. He has had different teachers as he progressed, some good, out-of-the-box thinkers, and others, not so much. The teachers changed as he progressed through the levels. I want to pull him from class; and maybe switch teachers and/or swim schools. I have had to re-explain his sensitivities every few months with each new teacher (if they weren't getting him). I do not want him to think that he can say "no" to these teachers, and switch teachers to get his way. But I do believe that he is just feeding off of her negativity; and I do want him to have fun AND be respectful. He has had good teachers who he responds extremely well to; so I am thinking that it's just not him. Should I pull him from this teacher/school, or should I just make him bear it. I want him to continue to like it. He used to REALLY enjoy it - now it is iffy. Sorry that this is so long, and not about real school; but I feel like they don't understand that his sensitivites are real. I do understand that he needs to get used to all sorts of teaching styles; but I do want him to continue to like it. I would bring him elsewhere and would have to go through the same thing all over again. Please be blunt with me. Thanks.

Mom0405 #85958 09/26/10 06:08 PM
    I would just wait until the end of the session (if it's not too long) and switch then. Your DS doesn't have to connect his saying "no" to the teacher with the switch at all unless you mention it.

Mom0405 #85959 09/26/10 06:24 PM
    I agree with MoN that you should find a different teacher or program. I don't think that is good teaching whether the child is sensitive or not.

Mom0405 #85960 09/26/10 06:26 PM
    A
    A
    The teacher/student dynamic is vital in something like swimming where trust and respect are such core elements to learning. My son did poorly at swimming until this year, and now he wants to try out for the swim team next year! The difference is ALL in the teacher.

I watched the instructors working with other kids and then picked the who used positive reinforcement. He pushed my son but made him believe he could do it.

I personally wouldn't reinforce the rejecting behaviors by continuing.

Mom0405 #85962 09/26/10 06:29 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    He is with a very strong 4.5-yr old girl who is pretty much ready for "league." There are only two of them; so there's lots of pressure to just "work." This little girl has some fierce kicking ability. Her Mom said that she is able to tackle her 6yr old brother fairly easily; and he plays football. But her Mom wants to keep her in this class, and is upset with me that I am thinking about leaving.

This is the first year-long session; and she would be his teacher for the duration - through May. His next step is league as well; but he isn't quite there yet; but I believe he would be had he had good teachers over the summer. I just want him to enjoy it, and be taught to do it correctly. He does not need to be competitive if he doesn't desire to; but all he asks is if he beat the girl - which never happens, unless he has flippers on and she doesn't...poor thing.;)

Anyway, I have talked to the director several times. He asks how we discipline him at home. I told him what I said here. He doesn't get that it works at home. He is the instructor who got him to swim. So he knows my DS and really likes him. He knows that he responds to the right personality; but he sees it as my DS misbehaving, not that it isn't a good personality fit. He doesn't get that my DS's sensitivity is a real issue and not him misbehaving for the sake of misbehaving.

Thank you so much for your input, ladies!!!

Mom0405 #85964 09/26/10 06:52 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Mom0405
    Anyway, I have talked to the director several times. He asks how we discipline him at home. I told him what I said here. He doesn't get that it works at home. He is the instructor who got him to swim. So he knows my DS and really likes him. He knows that he responds to the right personality; but he sees it as my DS misbehaving, not that it isn't a good personality fit. He doesn't get that my DS's sensitivity is a real issue and not him misbehaving for the sake of misbehaving.

That is really hard. I have a kid just like that. It has to be a mutual respect relationship or it will go no where. Sounds like a definite change is needed. I have no brilliant advice, but much sympathy!

Mom0405 #85965 09/26/10 06:56 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you, kimck!

It is good to know that it isn't just me siding with my son again, nor making excuses for him. Since we have been homeschooling, I haven't had to deal with "issues;" so every once in a while, I need to do a self-check.

Mom0405 #85966 09/26/10 07:13 PM
    My DD is in swimming lesson and we recently needed to switch days which meant new instructor. My advice is sort of back handed and sly, plus might not work, BUT you could have him moved to another class on a different day and claim his class didn't make due to size. He might see through this though. But I do agree that the situation with the teacher is not a good one.

Mom0405 #85968 09/26/10 07:27 PM
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    They actually created this class for him. It is tough to get classes in the morning for school-aged kids. Thank you!

Mom0405 #85996 09/27/10 07:27 AM
    D
    D
    Honestly, I would keep him in it. Let him develop some extra emotional resilience in dealing with a negative person and work with him on ways he can learn to deal with his swim teachers attitude.
    However, I think that periodic meetings with the instructor to fill her in on how you know your son learns best and strategies that might help her along would be useful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM