Hi all,

We live in Massachusetts which does not have any gifted mandates and there is no program in the district we are in. I have been advised however that I can push for accommodations for DS under the district curriculum accommodation plan (DCAP) which is about differentiating in the classroom.

Now my question is - what have you all asked for and what seemed to help ensure the greatest amount of appropriate challenge? If I am going to fight for accommodations I want to fight hardest for the most effective.

DS is strong both verbally and mathematically. He needs to develop his written expression skills but is several grades ahead in most other things.

The things that he most seems to want/need is to not see the same material repeatedly, harder material and to not be required to work in groups on a regular basis.

Any suggestions would be great. I would love to hear stories about really successful accommodations in the classroom. He is already grade skipped and for many reasons we won't be pushing for another one at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Breakaway