Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #61311 11/15/09 08:36 AM
    OP Offline
    Does anyone homeschool one child and not another? My daughter is very social and academically her class is a great fit. I am concerned if I pull son out for HSing than she will be jealous. In fact I know she will be. She can't even stand it if he stays home sick, or he her. Just wondering how others handle this.

S
    S
    I own a homeschool bookstore and meet hundreds of homeschoolers each month. My observations are that families who start out homeschooling just one kid usually end up homeschooling them all by the next year.

I think the main reason is that it's very challenging to straddle two worlds. It's often a matter of scheduling. For example, the weather is perfect for an educational trip to the zoo-- but, you can't because you have to pick up your other children at 3.

Even more common is that once you get into the swing of homeschooling, the public school world just starts getting more and more annoying. You find yourself less and less tolerant of unneccessay homework assignments, confusing projects, mean teachers, social pettiness, etc.

But, lots of families do homeschool just one kid and make it work for them. If your daughter loves public school and doesn't want to homeschool, then it shouldn't be an issue. If she *wants* to homeschool... well, that will make life a lot more challenging!

N
    N
    I think that this goes straight to the heart of what is FAIR treatment. If your DS and DD are old enough, you can have that discussion with them. Is FAIR treating everyone exactly the same? Or is it doing the right thing for each child because of his or her own unique needs and wants? If they are old enough, they will understand this. If your DD is happy at school, and doesn't want to homeschool, then I suspect she would come to accept it. Especially if you show her what is actually involved. Being homeschooled doesn't mean you get to watch TV all day, although that's what many kids assume.

Not sure if any of this is helpful. I homeschool DD, but not DS, but I suspect our situations are not comparable as we have a 5-year age gap and I will probably homeschool both at some point in the future.

OP Offline
    A homeschool bookstore...how cool. Do you have a web site?

I doubt very much that my daughter will choose school over what she calls "Mommy School" but I do think she is in a good spot for now. That of course can change. :-)

We're homeschooling the introvert, but the extrovert is currently at public school half-day K.

Homeschooling is just about ideal for DS8, particularly with the 2-day-a-week classes at the school for homeschoolers. He gets enough time with kids and enough alone time. But it would be significantly more challenging to homeschool DS5, as he talks CONSTANTLY at home, but likes the structure of school and the time in groups (even if that time isn't really social time, per se).

Probably the frontrunner for next year for DS5 is a private GT school, assuming he gets the IQ score necessary to be admitted. The only downside I can see right now is cost. the group of kids he'd be attending with matters, too, though. He would be very unhappy in a class full of rule-ignorers or loud kids. And from what I've seen, sometimes that's who this school attracts in the lower grades. It would be hard on him emotionally.

We plan to continue homeschooling DS8 next year.

I agree with NJMom that a conversation is in order with the kids--and probably regular conversations over time instead of just one. We speak openly and often about the different social needs that our kids have and that to serve those differing needs we sometimes have to do different things with them.

It also helps that they're 3 years apart. I suspect if they were closer in age, it might be harder for them to accept that "fair" isn't necessarily "the same." How close in age are your kids, Breakaway4?

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Homeschooling is just about ideal for DS8, particularly with the 2-day-a-week classes at the school for homeschoolers.

Ears perking up - Tell me about the school for homeschoolers, please.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    How close in age are your kids, Breakaway4?
    Only 18 months apart.

18 months apart, huh? That's certainly going to make things tougher, I'd bet. But stressing "different kids, different needs"--in EVERYTHING that it might possibly apply to!--might help.

As for our school...

My area has a large and active homeschooling community. In addition to the parent-run co-ops that are more common (and aren't that hard to start yourself if you start small), we have a highly flexible school for homeschoolers for kids aged pre-K to high school graduation.

It meets as much as 4 days per week, 9:30-3:30, with before- and afterschool care if needed. But kids don't have to go that much. They can take a single class, or even just go for one 30-minute recess. It's pay-as-you-use, with cost per hour going down the more hours the child attends. I think it starts in the $8+ range for a single hour of instruction and goes down to something in the $6 range for lots of hours. Recesses are $5/hour.

Core academic courses are taught T and TH, and the child taking those classes must attend both those days. W and F are more like "edu-tainment." Classes on W and/or F tend to be homework-free (though not always) and more creativity-based. All classes are small, probably a max of 15 kids to a class, and none of the classes my son has taken have been that big. Most have been 7-10 kids.

Classes are grouped by age--say, ages 9-11--rather than being for kids within a single year. And they are flexible beyond that. Last year my 7yo took a math class on Fridays for 9-12yos using the "Key to Fractions, Decimals and Percentages" series. (So real math, NOT edu-tainment!) It was taught by an experienced teacher of GT kids who totally got him, and he fit right in with the kids in the class. None of the kids had a problem with his presence, and no one on staff even blinked when I tentatively and nervously suggested that he might like the course. The director actually wound up talking ME into putting him in the course, if you can imagine. Painless! It was amazing!

Apparently they are a bit more resistant to the idea of putting younger kids in high-school-level discussion classes, especially the core courses. They worry about young kids being exposed to the evils of teenagers too young, I think. But as we're not planning to have him in the core courses, it's not a problem for us.

They have two 30-minute recesses and an hour for lunch--brown bags only--each day, so 2 hours of purely social time per day. No losing recesses for any reason, though sometimes my son chooses to talk to the teachers during recess rather than going outside to play or playing with Legos in the lunchroom. I take that as a good sign!

It provides just the right amount of social time for DS8 and gives him the chance to have teachers other than mom. It's also a lot more reasonably priced than the private schools in our area and is a lot more flexible. It is not accredited.

It was started by the mom of a gifted child because it served a need she saw herself in the homeschooling community. Though it is not specifically for GT kids, you can see how well-tailored it is to the needs of a GT kid, even a PG one!

That's a big brain dump. HTH...somehow! crazy

Kriston
    I homeschooled DS9 last year and sent DS6 to PS k. He wanted to go. The first half the year was heaven as he LOVEd school. Things quickly went downhill as the newness wore off and academics picked up. Teacher did a good job differentiating for him in reading and writing (great job!) but math was suffering. DS started complaining coupled w/ too much noise causing anxiety. Also, DS begged to be homeschooled as well saying how much he missed me. He's always been a mama's boy 8-) and needs lots of physical contact from me. He would be so worn out by the end of the day that our interaction was mostly negative. So I'm now HSing both.

I think with older kids, it can definitely work b/c they can understand fair doesn't mean identical. I explained to DS6 that he doesn't have to eat as much as DS9. Why? B/c he's younger and smaller. I do things w/ him that I don't do w/ DS9 b/c DS6 enjoys them and vice versa. He understood that and became ok w/ school again but still the noise was an issue as well as lack of challenge in math.

Dazey

S
    S
    My homeschool center website is www.TheCuriousMindStore.com, but we have internet sales.

We have a bookstore and consultation center, but the main part of our business is our homeschool classes. The classes meet twice a week (elementary kids on Tues/Thurs, JH/HS on Mon/Wed). Some kids just pop in to take one or two classes like science, math, or theater. But, most stay all day and take all their classes from us. I'd say about 1/4 of our students are gifted and working above level.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM