Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #56229 09/22/09 11:16 AM
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I made a call to the director for the gifted program at our school board office today. I explained to her that Isaac was getting enrichment 90 minutes a week and that he's in his regular classroom the rest of the time. I told her that he was having some problems sitting still while the other kids were learning and asked her what the department could do for him.

She said that in 1st grade (next year) I can enroll him in another elementary school and he'd get reading, math and science in a gifted classroom. She said in reading they'd do the 1st grade book and start on the 2nd grade book. He's beyond that already so even though it might be better than this year I don't know how much better it'll be.

She said that for Kindergarten there's nothing other than 90 minutes of enrichment a week. She said that I need to just discipline him like any normal child when he comes home after having a bad day. I got so angry after she said that because he's not a normal child and his behavior problems have something to do with sitting for hours and hours in a kindergarten classroom.

She told me that the only thing she could suggest was for me to go buy some workbooks and ask the teacher to let him do them if he has extra time during the day. That's all fine but it's the lessons that he's having to sit through that are causing him so many problems.

I guess my next step is to try to talk to the principal at his school and see what she says.

A
    A
    Good luck! My ds was bored in Kindergarten as well. He did get into the gifted program but not until Feburary and then it was only 35 min a week. More of a joke than anything b/c he was missing classes like Spanish and computers and he really enjoyed those classes and was learning new things.

Our school district doesn't have a gifted classroom. We requested he be moved up to 1st even through at the time I was subbing for the school and knew he could handle 2nd/3rd grade work. They told us he was right were he needed to be and wouldn't move him up. He was label a disipline problem and even got suspended from school for one day b/c of disipline issues. Suspended from school in Kindergarten and they didn't see a problem?

We let him stay in Kindergarten for the year and then homeschooled him the next. Big mistake in leaving him in. His attitude just got worst throughout the year. His behavior at home become was terrible. Now that he is at home and getting material on his level his behavior is great.

So, Good luck!

K
    K
    That sucks. It's more like they just want to keep him quiet than to teach him, I think they're forgetting that all kids go to school to learn, she doesn't sound like someone who really gets gifted kids.

Do you have a gifted advocacy group in your area? Perhaps they can help.

Good luck with the principal. Our principal was very helpful. Our school has no GT programming until 3rd grade, and we're in a K-2 center, so nothing at all. That said, since we told them about our DS's IQ scores, and they tested him on their own achievement test as well, they were willing to try to differentiate for him. The principal has the power - maybe even the power to switch you to a more open-minded teacher (if there's room in other classes). Or to have your DS move to a higher grade class for some subjects. I highly recommend getting the principal on your side. Good luck!

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks guys. Today was another bad day. Kicking and pushing which isn't in his nature at all. Makes me think he's so frustrated at school.

There is no advocacy group around that I know of. I know one other mom of a gifted child and I'm going to get in touch with her soon to see how things are going with her son.

My son is at a public Montessori school and one of the kindergarten teachers has her masters in gifted. Before the school year started she and I talked and she advised me to call the state board of education to get help. I was hoping he'd get into her class but no such luck.

I'm writing a note to the teacher tonight to request a meeting. I'm hoping that the principal and perhaps the counselor will join us so that we can discuss what can be done.

A
    A
    I am surprised that the children are being asked to sit still in a Motessori environment. That said, I found, with my older son, that a structured environment with consistent rules are very important for him. He starts having meltdowns in environments where he doesn't know what's coming and can't anticipate change. DS8 has Aspeger's, but all children have more or less of a need for rigidity. Is it possible that your child might be having difficulties because of the looseness of Montessori?

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Well it's a Montessori but it's public so they still have to follow the state guidelines for what has to be taught and because of that it's not a "true" Montessori. They do sit down and do some work.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Artana
    That said, I found, with my older son, that a structured environment with consistent rules are very important for him. He starts having meltdowns in environments where he doesn't know what's coming and can't anticipate change.

This is why I don't homeschool (also why I don't own my own business). DS & I are both thrive waaaaaaaaaay better within a structured environment.

JamieB - I would definitely request a meeting as well. At least you can get details of their expectations and what is happening when your child is having these issues, etc! Good luck!

Originally Posted by Jamie B
    My son is at a public Montessori school and one of the kindergarten teachers has her masters in gifted. Before the school year started she and I talked and she advised me to call the state board of education to get help. I was hoping he'd get into her class but no such luck.

I'm writing a note to the teacher tonight to request a meeting. I'm hoping that the principal and perhaps the counselor will join us so that we can discuss what can be done.
    I was wondering why you started with the school board! Mystery Solved! I think it's a great idea that you talk to the Teacher, and then ask the teacher for her support in talking to the Principle. The next step is to talk to the Principle (no matter what the teacher says, LOL) Advocacy is a long, slow process, and doesn't always 'work,' but if you can't homeschool or change schools, then it's the only game in town. Don't let what the lady at the board of ed said worry you. There are the 'standard' answers and the 'now that I know your kid' answers, and often they are quite different. Perhaps a switch to the gifted 1st grade class will be a fabulous fit?

It's a long journey, so pace yourself! Onward ho!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by Jamie B

I was wondering why you started with the school board! Mystery Solved! I think it's a great idea that you talk to the Teacher, and then ask the teacher for her support in talking to the Principle. The next step is to talk to the Principle (no matter what the teacher says, LOL) Advocacy is a long, slow process, and doesn't always 'work,' but if you can't homeschool or change schools, then it's the only game in town. Don't let what the lady at the board of ed said worry you. There are the 'standard' answers and the 'now that I know your kid' answers, and often they are quite different. Perhaps a switch to the gifted 1st grade class will be a fabulous fit?

It's a long journey, so pace yourself! Onward ho!
    Grinity
    I've tried with his teacher once this year already. She was going to move him to another grade for reading but decided against it because he's too fidgety. She said she won't even consider it until after Christmas. I decided to see if the school board had any policies about it that I could use when I talked to the teacher again.

Thanks...I think I'm ready for the journey...maybe smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM