Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #13819 04/15/08 11:04 AM
    A
    AmyEJ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I just wanted to share this with everyone.

A few weeks ago I was reading some articles online and found myself on the Gifted Development Center's website. I know several of you have actually gone there for testing, and others may have read articles written by people from the center. Anyway, I saw that they offer advocacy consultations. I immediately called. Some of you may recall my recent trouble with the GT program and some test discrepancies between my daughter's WPPSI and her group test results from the school. In anticipation of the district appeals committee meeting we decided to use their services.

We're so glad that we did. We live in Texas and are not really able to take off and go to Colorado for testing. I haven't had much luck in finding someone here who specializes in gifted children, so for us it was worth paying the $150/hr fee for the consultation. That's what I likely would have paid someone here had I found the right person, so I was willing to do it. Anyway, they emailed me 11 forms to complete over the weekend, then we faxed them back (over 40 pages in all!). She looked over everything--including our test results--before our phone conversation, spending about an hour with the information. Then we talked for two hours and I got a tremendous amount of personalized support and advice about my DD6.

Obviously this is not perfect; they did not meet my daughter. But I got SO much more advice about my daughter than I ever had from any doctor, including the one who had tested her with the WPPSI. They addressed sensory issues, behavior issues, academic issues, and the advocacy stuff. She gave me book recommendations and things to follow up about perhaps with future testing. I went in to that appeals meeting last week at the district feeling very prepared and knowing exactly what to say, what to ask for, and what I was talking about. I don't know if it will make a difference to the school district but it truly helped us in understanding our daughter.

It's certainly not something that's for everyone; most people may not need that much hand holding and may not be willing to pay for it. But if you have test discrepancies, testing questions, or need educational advice, it may be worth considering, especially if you don't live in an area where there's someone specialized or who you trust. I just wanted to let people know that it's another option to consider.

Last edited by AmyEJ; 04/15/08 11:05 AM.
    Q
    Q
    Thanks!

S
    S
    Amy, that's exactly how I felt after doing the testing with them - I had such a better understanding of my dd after our two-hour post-testing conference. And that's why if and when I have my other kids tested, we'll be going there (fortunately for us it's local).

S
    S
    That would be well worth $150 for me. Do you have contact information to share? Or, can I just go to their website?

Last edited by squirt; 04/15/08 12:46 PM.
    thanks for posting about GDC. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Please follow up with us and let us know if you feel the school responded well and met your child's needs. If your consultation helped you that much with advocation, I would be interested in contacting them myself.

Thanks for posting AmyEJ! I'm glad it went well!
    Grinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM