Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    OK, now I feel like the rest of the parents who were waiting for the mail containing the talent search testing results! I finally took DD6 to get IQ testing last week. I am still waiting on the tester�s evaluation and I am concerned/scared.

The tester said that it would take three weeks to get the results to me, but he said that she blew the scale off the abstract reasoning area (can anyone explain what this means?), but there were �some� weaknesses as well. Hmm, what does this mean and what can I do to help DD6? Yes, I realize I do not have a report, so I am asking for the impossible.

I am doing my best not to worry, but the comment about the �weaknesses,� does have me concerned.

Any answers or hand holding appreciated!

Anyway to get the tester to at least give you the score data without the full write up? Sort of like a teaser? That way we could help you try and dissect the testing (we just can't help ourselves).

In our experience my son's area of "weakness" was the knowledge section of his testing. He actually scored in the average range but since the rest of the scores we so much higher it was considered a weakness. I, too, had to step back and realize that average in one area is really not that bad. smile

Blowing the scale off the abstract reasoning probably means that she hit the ceiling. This means she scored more raw points than needed for the highest possible score on the subtest-- an 18 or 19 depending on the test and subtest.

I hope this helps a little and the testing gurus will probably have much more to add.

Crisc
    Waiting sucks. Too much time to think about the little you know over and over and over.

She probably has some relative weaknesses. You know pretty good numbers which are nothing to worry about, but they are lower than her other scores.

DS5 has "relative" weakness ("" used in the report). He is bilingual and scored only 88% in Oral Language. Looking at his other numbers, which were way higher (including his 99% VIQ), oral language is truly his weakness, but it's nothing to worry about. His achievement test showed a similar story. I think I can live with him being "only" 2.3 years ahead in oral language on WJ-III and speaking in two languages grin

It will most likely be a similar story.

LMom
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    LMom and Crisc,

Thanks!!! I will probably just have to wait for the report, but honestly I was more anxious about actual deficits rather than relative weaknesses. I am crossing my fingers that the weaknesses are relative. I agree, I can live with average, but I am concerned/afraid of real weaknesses. But, even there, knowing can help me get her help.

Yes, I'll agree that the "weaknesses" will probably show up as average or even above average. Compared to blowing the top off, an average or slighly above are can be described as a "weakness". Try not to worry too too much if possible. I wish you luck in your wait and look forward to hearing about some good news!

Neato

Mom of 1,
    Waiting is a drag, isn't it!

Best to ask for the raw scores and and scaled scored without the writeup if tester will fax it to you.

My son did have a subtest in the 25th%! And still got into DSY program! Strange world, no? The take home message is that today's IQ tests test many things - some of which are not highly related to intellectual giftedness. The trick is to get a highly qualified tester who can help you sort out which is which (or to send a privte message to Dottie - LOL!)

If the 'weaker areas' are average to 115, you can call them bottlenecks, whichis a less scary term.

The other thing to think about is Asynchronous Development. Our kids are not on the normal timetable, and some of the relative lows can be just areas that need a little extra time to mature.

Or there can be an outright 2E issue - which if there is - pat yourself on the back that you found it early enough to save the self-esteem and there is lots and lots of resource around each various one.

And of course - these particular results only reflect one test on one day! My son always took twice as long to test as a ND kid because hitting the ceiling takes TIME. So it a way one would expect our kids to be 'just plain worn out' by the end. See if you can talk the tester into letting you know the order in which the tests were given.

There is such a thing as a chart review, were you can mail the raw data and write-up to one of the top folks and for rather less money than a full testing, will give you their opinion of how the tea-leaves came out.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OH it's so hard to wait. I'm not sure which test your child took but if it was the WISCIV, many gifted kids score avg-high avg in Processing SPeed and/or WOrking Memory. This could be what the test was referring to. But until you get the scores, no way to know.

I hope the time passes fast for you.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    be wary of the trap to "avoid the elephant in the room" by focusing on something tangible.

I agree!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Grinnity and Dotty,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I will try to get raw scores. Either way things turn out, I am glad I followed through with the testing. I can say DD6 has some amazing strengths, but there are some weaknesses. I love her and I am committed to her talent development regardless.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM