Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    LMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    As you probably know we have decided to hs DS5 next year. We would still like him to spend a few regular hours in school each week though. Our state doesn't allow p/t enrollment so public school is out.

I've visited/checked a few private schools which carter to homeschoolers and we found one which we like quite a lot, a small school, mixed ages, a lovely principal. They have academics in the morning and the fun stuff in the afternoon. We could send DS5 (then 6) there for 2 afternoons. Unfortunately it's not exactly close and we may not be able to figure out the logistics of PreK for DS3 (then 4) and this school.

I have a meeting with the director of DS5 Montessori and I want to discuss possible p/t enrollment. As far as I know the school has never done it before. I know that this is not a Montessori thing to do, but I also think it's worth asking and so does DS5's current teacher. I am not really interested in their regular classes, but I would like him to attend gym/music/art/dance and such which are usually taught by a different teacher. It may not work after all and the logistics of this may be even worse than the other school, but I want to check all the options available.

My main problem is that I don't want to offend them by hs DS5. I don't want the message to be "I can do better job than you." Unlike his current teachers the director is so sure the school can meet his needs. I am pretty sure the director will try to push me into f/t enrollment.

I may actually go the "Let him be a kid" road. After all one of the main reasons to homeschool him is the fact that neither us nor him like the idea of a full time school day. I may get her agree with that. Other than that I am pretty clueless.

One more thing. It may not really help that DS3 won't attend Montessori next year. It wasn't a good fit for him. I definitely want to end on a very good note, after all I still consider this school as a backup school in case hs turns out to be a disaster.

LMom
    I don't really have any advice but I found out that around here most private schools don't offer p/t enrollment because they have waiting lists and would rather sell the spot to a f/t student.

LMom,
    I wouldn't nescessarily look to a school for a few hours a week, but more to a local YMCA, or dance, or art or music or gymnastics center. At this age plenty of kids are in daycare afterschool, so maybe you could drop him off at an afterschool program? Of course there is also Tball, soccer, maybe even a swimteam that he could do. In our town there is even an OT clinic that organizes childrens activities. Check the Library. I think the idea of spending some time with agemates on a regular basis is a good one, but wouldn't stress over it, as soon you will have the opportunity to spend hours per week doing extracurricular stuff.

Are there any homeschooling groups in your geographical area that you can met the other parents and see what is going on?

LOL - you can talk to a local daycare center and see if you can work something out. Overall, see where DS3 is going, and see if they can help out. A long drive doesn't sound appealing. If you stick with the idea of a private school, it may be easier to add this in September or October when the schools see what their actual enrollment is.

Good Luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    LMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I forgot to mention it. There is no waiting list there and I am pretty sure they won't be full, so it would be extra money for them.

I will look at the organize activities, but the thing is that kids who take art classes usually love art and are good at it and so on. Regular art and regular music could be a better option for DS5. I may look if I find after school program thought.

There is a local homeschool group. They do have some activities I like and we will most likely attend one or two of them. Unfortunately none of them are drop offs as far as I know. I think DS5 and I could use a few scheduled hours without each other. He will still attend the gt weekend classes.

DS3 will go to the same play preschool like DS5 went when he was 3 and 4. He will have the same teacher, who really got DS5. When I told her that DS3 was reading as well, she seemed quite excited and said that he could read to the class.

LMom
    C
    C
    Are none of the available programs drop-offs?

Here, our Y does a homeschool gym/swim for kids from 5-18. It's a drop-off program, once a week for about 3 hours. Our DS8 has been doing it since he was 6. He gets swimming instruction, plays the kind of games he'd play on the playground (freeze tag, red rover, etc.) and also plays in organized sports like soccer, basketball, badminton, etc.

The Y also has drop-off classes for all sorts of other things, including art, but most of these are not specifically for homeschoolers and take place in the evenings. I do know of many drop-off classes for homeschoolers during the day, though. Call the art centers in your area. We have a lot of them in our local metro area, and about half of them do daytime classes for homeschoolers; many of them started offering these when approached by a homeschooling mom who said, "If I can get at least 4 kids for a daytime weekday class, what can you offer me?"

I am also interested in PT enrollment, but for academic classes like lab sciences and foreign languages - things I have trouble accommodating at home. Like you, our public schools don't offer PT enrollment. I haven't looked into the private schools yet.

Tara

You can always make money the issue, even if it's not. In that case, having your son there is a big vote of confidence for the school instead of a case of doubt: "Even though its expensive, we want him with you part of the day."

In the end, you're the customer, and you don't have to fall for the hard sell. You can just smile politely and thank the director and tell him something vague like, "We think this arrangement is best suited for DS's needs." Your child, your money, your choice. If you can get past your need to explain when no explanations are really needed, it might make things easier.

Just a thought...

Kriston
    LMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Tara, I am jealous

many of them started offering these when approached by a homeschooling mom who said, "If I can get at least 4 kids for a daytime weekday class, what can you offer me?"

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try something like that once I get to know more hs people. I also need to ask around more, may be there is something I am not aware of.

You can always make money the issue, even if it's not. In that case, having your son there is a big vote of confidence for the school instead of a case of doubt: "Even though its expensive, we want him with you part of the day."

Thank you so much, Kriston! I love it. Not only it's a great excuse, but it even shows how much we like that place. I will definitely use it. You are right, no need to explain some things.

LMom

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM