Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #8957 02/16/08 12:06 AM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    because DD's teacher has been ill for a week and everybody in our house, me included, is happy about it?

Suddenly, DD is not ill every morning (except Friday, but this time is for real, poor DD) and seems to enjoy the school.

It could be that the eye exercises that we have been doing lately are showing efect and as well that her Dutch is getting muuuuch better, but still....

So, tell me: if after DD's teacher comes back, DD re-starts with the usual complains, would you cionsider a change of classroom (samel level/groep but differente teacher)? And if yes, how would you approach the school and actual teacher?

PS. I just wanted to add that as far as I know, actual teacher does not have anything serious. I am not that bad...

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Now I feel bad about it ...

I am just happy to see DD happy at the school, that's all, and I know that the teacher cannot have anything serious because another mom saw her in the school during the week.

I would consider changing *something* if I were you, but then I'm the mom who started homeschooling when we were in a similar situation. I didn't even bother with trying to change teachers. It seemed like a lot of advocacy effort for little useful result. He'd still be in a classroom that was not challenging to him. It would be a lot of work--and I would become "that mom"--for nothing, so we just yanked him out.

Maybe I'm not the best person to ask... eek

Kriston
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Kriston:

unfortunately, homeschooling is criminal ofense here in The Netherlands!

There is a project to start a special school for gifted kids here where I live but it is not yet certain when this will be, if it will be...

That's a tough one. Is it easy to change teachers there? Is it something which is done often or is it pretty much uncalled for?

Could you may be play the "her Dutch is not perfect and she needs help" card and try to get her into smaller class or something like that?

If she feels awful to the point of feeling sick then it calls for an action. On the other hand if it's something which is not done there and they won't move her then things make get even worse for her frown

LMom
    Given that HSing is not possible, then I would be looking at changing teachers or schools...or something. Your child is clearly very unhappy.

I'm sorry!

Kriston
    Oh Isa!
    I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is 'ill every morning' but pleased that when the teacher is gone, she does better. My experience tells me that if you leave her in a poor-fit situation much longer, the 'bounce back' will not be so quick next time around.

Certainly try to change rooms at the school, and certianly let them know that she is 'ill every morning.' I wish I had better advice, but you'll have to improvise.

Please let us know what is the status of the Gifted School. Maybe it isn't illegal for your to homeschoo because you aren't a citizen? Call you embassy - hee hee!

Can you get a doctor to write a note that the school is making her sick, and they should send a tutor to the house for the rest of the year?

Finally, here is my prayer that once the teacher returns you will find that DD's joy continues. Perhaps it is just things comming together.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Isa,

I have much empathy for you and your daughter. It sounds like there may be something going on with that teacher that is causing a problem with your daughter.

I have no good solution for you. DD5 is in a somewhat similar solution and I haven't quite figured it out myself. As Trinity states, I so hope when the teacher comes back, your daughter remains as happy is she is now.

Incog

E
    E
    Isa,
    We had the same situation with our son last year. He had upset stomachs to the point of throwing up on the way to school and constant headaches. After many Doctor appointments and evaluations and nothing concrete coming back, we learned that DS had internalized so much in school that it was actually turning into a toxic environment for him. The teacher he had was not a bad teacher, she actually seemed to do very well with most of her students. However, for DS, it was an impossible situation. She was actually emotionally abusive to him without even knowing it. (Believe me I am not as calm as this post sounds about the situation...)
    My point is I would definately do my best to get your daughter out of that classroom if the ailments return. If the school will work with you that is great. If not, you don't lose anything by taking it as high as you have to even if it does mean calling the embassy smile Good will with a school seems to last only until you ask for something they do not want to provide.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    How awful Isa. My only suggestions are switching teachers or schools or if that's not possible, one thing that helped me with DS 9 was enrolling him an online course. It seemed to make a huge difference, such that he could "endure" humdrum stuff at school, knowing he had challenging work in his course. It also made him feel Special, which in big families is sometimes hard for the 3rd sibling. He and mom spend time reviewing some chapters. It has made a big difference for him, though I think it's a lot of work and extra things for me to worry about and bug him about, make time for, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM