Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #3572 09/24/07 12:41 PM
    ariadia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello, it's me again. A basket case as usual since this whole school thing began.
    My husband spoke with the director of educational services and this is what he was told:

"talked to Audrey Cummings, director of psychology.
    willing to do testing on James, everybody wants to know why; it'll tell us he's bright and won't change where he goes.

social/emotional results of kids who skip grades not good."

I just know that if they do test him, the evaluator most likely will have no experience with g/t, or 2E. Isn't that one of the most important aspects of testing-to have experienced evaluators?
    Is that something we should demand? If testing is not going to accomplish anything-not even grade skipping, why should we bother with these idiots and put my son through all of this? How can an educational system be so backwards in their thinking?
    We looked at the Ruf estimates, and conservatively, our son falls somewhere between levels 4 and 5-moreso, 4.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

T
    T
    Have you pushed them to show you the studies that indicate poor social/emotional results? Have you provided them with the studies to the contrary? I would start with the fight to accelerate, if that is what you want, then let them test to see how far. It may be an arduous fight, but what is the alternative? No, you shouldn't give up.

No you shouldn't give up.

Can you do private testing? We had similar issues and concerns about behavior and emotional responses. We did private testing and got our son into first grade, skipping K. He is now in 2nd but in 3rd for math. It was the best thing we could have done for him. There are really no more behavior or emotional issues, other than "typical" OEs! It was a fight worth fighting because now the principal is on our side. He's the one that tested for the second acceleration in math. And our son isn't as advanced as yours sounds. I'd place mine at level 3.

Hi Ariadia,
    Well - since you asked,
    Yes, give up the idea of a law suit. To expensive - emotionally and time-wise.
    Yes, give up if you can afford to homeschool. Level IV and V often really need homeschooling during the elementary years.

No, don't give up if they are willing to do testing at school for free and you need to watch your dollars - even a poorly done test might give you enough numbers to apply to YSP. Sometimes experienced testers can go back and look at the raw data and interpret it for you.

and
    No, don't give up on asking the school to test now. I've heard of plenty of cases where the School says "No, No" until they see the actual scores and meet the real kid, and then they say "Ok, just this once." You many not get enough, but having a paper trail might help you down the road. Level IV and V kids are often easier for schools to notice than the more suble PGness of our Level IIIs.

This is a process. You will be kicking yourself for the things you do in the next 6 months, looking back from 10 years, but that goes with the "parenting a PG kid" territory. Bottom Line- try to only kick gently, ok?

Made a list of all the things that nurture you - then follow your list. Our children are often extra-perceptive of our own moods, so a little relaxation on your end should make the rest of you day go much better.

Love and More Love (because that is what it takes)
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    ariadia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Trinity,

I've seen this mentioned a number of times, and forgive my ignorance, but what is "YSP"?

Thanks,
    aria

B
    B
    DD, self taught reader at 3 yo, entered kindergarten this month and reads at a 4th grade level (school has not evaluated and does not recognize this). My husband and I are perceived as pushy parents who must be drilling our child.

Mtg today at schl was awful and I am frustrated. I know I need to have DD tested to support(prove?) the acceleration we know she needs, but are trying to find out where to begin.
    Help.
    Overwhelmed in Maine

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Dear Bookworm,

I suggest trying to test privately if you can afford it--right away. It's been money well-spent for us. Otherwise talk to teacher and gifted department head immediately (they have timeclocks that start--30 days to do this, another 30 for the next referral, etc., it's probably different everywhere, but all that can end up to take 6 months or more here. Private testing (using district-approved tests) can cut that to a couple weeks. With test results go to principal and ask that she do a grade skip to at least get into a 1st grade class where they teach some skills. If you find 1st grade too tiresome, re-evaluate at Christmas.

Good Luck!

Last edited by cym; 09/27/07 07:31 PM.
    B
    B
    Thanks, Cym.

I know that documentation will mean much more to the school than my claims. Fortunately, we can afford private testing and will pursue this. I am now searching for a place to test her, but am hesitant to ask the school for suggestions.

Also, thanks for the info on the 30 day referral timeline. I was aware of this mandate with SPED, but not GT. Very helpful.

These forums are a new discovery for me and a great support after a very frustrating day.

ariadia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Bookworm!

Can your family doctor help you with a referral for private testing? If your school is not willing to do it, call your child's physician for info.

Aria

B
    B
    Great suggestion.

You know when someone is just not listening? DD's preschool had written a letter in the Spring re: unassuming nature, yet high level of ability, particularly reading. I also met w/ princ. and future tchr. At the time, I was pleasantly surprised at how receptive they seemed.

Now that schl has started my child is coming home with letter booklets and beginning bks with sight words "I" and "am." She cries in the morning when she realizes it is a schl day and bemoans the fact that her reading and writing time is gone (she used to spend part of every afternoon relaxing in her room reading Ramona bks, biographies, science bks, fairy tales). The teacher said that she knows DD reads much higher, but she is sending her home w/ these bks to fit in with the rest of the group. I informed her that this was not a positive (she was shocked) since DD is fully aware of her differences and the fact that no one else in K is reading chaper bks (preschl was much more socialization and not as much of an issue). The teacher then responded that even with these easier bks DD sometimes skips a page. I explained b/c she is bored out of her mind. There is no understanding that my child is already adjusting to the expectations of the classroom.

To top it all off, DD is compliant and a people pleaser. She is reserved and sits back and lets the class learn what they need to without and interruptions from her.

Thanks for letting me vent. I was not sure where to turn since I do not feel comfortable discussing these dilemnas with my local mom/friends.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM