Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #2922 07/30/07 04:47 PM
    D
    darren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I know that gifted education is a good thing for my child but How Do I convince my congressman that it is also good for the community?

I would like him to devote more $ to the school system.

Any ideas would be helpful

darren #2924 07/31/07 08:54 AM
    Well, here are some ideas -
    But remember, I have no allegence to "Gifted Education" per se, because that term is so wide and so loaded that it could mean many different things. I support particular programs that tend to met the educational needs of individual gifted children, such as gradejumping, subject acceleration, and self contained multiage classrooms for the plus 145 crowd and for the 2E crowd. I support compacted and enrich curriculum as an addition to developmentally appropriate placement (gradejumping and subject acceleration)

If you have employers in the community, and they need to attract hightly skilled employees, having a school system that fairly mets the needs of all of it's children would be a selling point. Are you trying to attract business who need highly skilled employees to the community? Having children with special educational need due to giftedness is highly correlated with high IQ parents. So having a school system that is flexible and can meet those children's needs is a selling point.

If you have minorities who have been historically discriminated against, you will have many children who have special gifted educational needs, and meeting those needs will help close the "achievement gap."

If the representative is Conservative, then a parent's right to developmentally appropriate school placement may appeal.

Are representatives interested in having "young genius achievers" stay in their home state and create jobs of the future? You bet. They are particularly interested in computer and tech.

If you want more $ to the school system, then perhaps suggest that more accountability go with it, such as yearly testing that is individually tracked, so that you can see if the top performing children are making much progress from year to year. I like NWEA's MAP test for this, since it attempts to modify itself while the child is taking the test to be harder or easier as needed.

Theoretically, an education that is relevant and working will yield more productive citizens who will be better able to support the Social Security system when your representative retires.

And remember, that many of the changes that our children need are very low in cost. What does it cost to have 3 years of elementary students all do Math at the same time so that there can be cross-grade readiness groups? Nothing. What does it cost to have needed grade jumps? about 10$ for the Iowa Acceleration Scale and testing that might be needed anyway, or provided by the parents. What does it cost to publicise Talent Search participation? One piece of paper per child.

If you can organize your state to bring the children to the capitol and talk to the representatives on the educational committee about their experiences, that can make an impact. Our Connecticut Gifted Association did a wonderful job of this recently and the representatives said it was the most powerful meeting they had ever experienced. No one person has time to do it all, but every bit of help you give will move the project forward.

Best Wishes,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM