Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #511 10/04/06 02:36 AM
    M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DS's teacher suggested over a month ago that we have a conference - but never got her to nail down a time. This morning I emailed her yet again and she responded almost immediately with a time.

Unfortunately, we will only have 45 minutes - but hopefully it will be enough to start to understand each other about what is going on.

He is bored out of his wits and we are seeing some degradation in his behavior at home - more crying, less effort on his work, more talking to himself --- imaginary friends new at age 7 1/2 when he never had them before! (Except for the battle of the wills with his sister.....)

Starting to wonder if we shouldn't have gone for the double skip that the psych recommended.

Oh well.... wish us luck!

Mary

Mary
    Oh Mary,
    I'm so sorry to hear it.
    I'm having a meeting also on Friday, in response to last meetings request for grade skip.
    Good Luck. Try not to dwell on the meeting, as my experience is that schools run on their own time table.
    Advice? Try to figure out how bad it has to be before you "pull" him from that situation - and stand guard, relaxedly if possible.
    You can always pull him for a week's vacation and then re-evaluate. It took me three years to pull my kid - little glimmers of hope. There was some value in it, but I wouldn't do it again.
    Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    G
    G
    I do wish you luck, Mary, and pray that the teacher will be receptive and understanding and wise.

What is DS saying about school? Does he hate it, or not want to go? We switched schools for our DD recently because she clearly expressed that she was unhappy there and "wished she could go to another school." Do you have any back-up options for your son if this school is not willing to work with you?

Keep us posted.

I wonder if the teacher's ready response means that she is seeing trouble at school also?

Nail biting,
    Trinity

M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    No back up options, but Snoopy claims to enjoy school in spite of the boredom - so I am not worried enough to pull him yet. It is just that he isn't quite the same kid he was over the summer.

Actually - we are planning a week's vacation soon - just haven't told the teacher.

I seriously wish we could homeschool - but DH stays home with the kids while I work and he and DS do not get along well in educational attempts.

DH keeps expecting him to suddenly act his mental age - and DS keeps bouncing between his chronological age less 3 and his chronological age plus 20. DH gets mad and DS gets defensive. Not a pretty site.

Oh well.... we'll see what happens.

mary

Mary
    M
    MNF Offline
    M
    Mary - I just needed to add that we are in the same situation. I work and DH stays home. The battles that would happen if DH were to home school would not be pretty. What I have seen of the homework wars, I can only assume would be exasperated!

My DS is also 7.5. He is happy in school right now - but we have radical acceleration for math that is also taught mostly one-on-one with enrichment. Luckily, DS is happy to coast in the other subjects and can be accomodated in his 2nd grade class with some subject enrichment.

But before we got the math worked out - he was miserable about everything. At home, at school, etc. So I know what you are talking about.

Good luck with your meeting and I'd love to chat sometime about the challenges and benefits of our home arrangements and having a PG child in the mix!

Maria

Mary -
    My DS10 also seems to age bounce. Maybe all kids do? At least once they become teenagers? Maybe Adults do also? ((big grin))
    Trinity

G
    G
    I think all gifted kids "age bounce" and it certainly can be disconcerting. One minute DD5 will be asking deeply intellectual questions, and the next minute she'll be crying because she can't find her "My Little Pony" toy. It's hard to know how to treat them sometimes!

Life with a gifted child is never boring. :-)

G
    G
    Mary and Trinity, did you both have your meetings with your schools on Friday? If so, what happened?

M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Meeting got cancelled. Teacher's kid was sick. However, DH and I talked and decided that we had to give up trying to let the school do it all. So, starting this weekend, we are doing a couple of hours of Mommy school on the weekends. Physics and moviemaking.

Interesting thing - Trinity will love this - DD(6) was more interested and engaged in the physics discussion than DS (7). She took notes and was the first to guess that magnetism was a type of force - although DS ran with the idea quite well after that.

We also started planning the plot, characters, and setting for our first attempts at making a stop action movie. (First one will just be a slide show with a sound track. - although, maybe we should go with a silent movie first. Didn't think about that.)

I'll let you know when we get rescheduled for school - but maybe the enrichment at home will help.... as DD is starting to have as many problems as DS.....

Mary

P.S. yes, Trinity.... you told me so.

Mary
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students