Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #229482 04/13/16 07:51 AM
    H
    hen27 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Does anyone know anything regarding FOIA of curriculum documents from school districts? I've asked for LA curriculum for the advanced and regular courses from the middle school (nothing is published but vague statements). They are stonewalling me over this issue.

B
    B
    I don't know what it covers but people in our district were able to access staff and board member emails to each other. That may have required a court order, but I asked for and was able to access financial info and an outside consulting report. There are lawsuits against the district which may be why they were cooperative.

H
    hen27 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I am thinking of pulling my daughter out for LA homeschooling next year, and I'd like to see the 7th grade curriculum documents for both LA and Advanced LA.

She was in gifted program when she was younger and had to retest for it in middle school and was kicked out. She is becoming a classic underachiever. I can figure out what to do with her because I'm an English teacher. But, I want access to what the district would do in either program. I know that they are stonewalling me because I will be able to point out their flawed argument. She would be better served in the ALA curriculum.

N
    N
    File a Right-To-Know request with your school district. I do not know which documents are a matter of public record, but this is the way to request such documents. I have filed Right-To-Know requests with many municipalities for my work.

Emails and the such typically do not require a court order, though if it is a matter of RTK laws it may matter if a quorum is on the email (such as a quorum of the school board). Emails limited to less than a quorum may not be subject to RTK, but this is a matter for the school district legal counsel to determine. I do not know all of the legal aspects of RTK as I am not an attorney.

A
    aeh Offline
    A

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    H
    hen27 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks. I have a call in to a lawyer. I'll update once I have a clearer answer for others who may want to know in the future.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM