Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #222022 09/08/15 06:56 PM
    OP Offline
    Our DS (8.5) has difficulty controlling his voice and will tear up if he does not understand something nearly immediately. This has been ongoing and although has morphed into "merely" a high-pitched tight-voiced protest, is not resolving in what we think would be average for most kids of his age.

We've been working on pointing out to him when he's becoming out of control. Telling him he needs to give it a break. Sometimes it will work, but if it's something that he's perceived as being very desirable to understand, he will obsess over his inability to understand what is being said; sometimes bringing it up months later if we don't "work on it" with him.

I've heard of parents telling their child they are "spinning" when they get in a loop of sorts and can't seem to free themselves to gain a new perspective. Has anyone here a child that does this? Does maturing "cure" them, or is this something we will be working on like therapy?

N
    N
    DD9 is still in high-pitched, tight-voiced protest mode most of the time. I continually have to remind her to lower her voice from squeaky panic level when not everything in life is a dire emergency. I'm hoping she matures out of it, because the teen years are going to be hell on wheels otherwise.

DS13 (13 now!) will still tear up when he doesn't understand anything, or, for tonight's example, when it turns out I was right instead of him, in what we were going over for his algebra. Being wrong is instant cloud-mode. To be fair, I had the same problem at his age, and still do sometimes. smile

For our 10 year old daughter the best thing for her in terms of bucking up was seeing a CBT for a few sessions folowed by a grade skip which lasted a while. More recently, going to a 3 week CTY camp really helped her to bottle things up and discard a lot of outwardly negative or regressive behaviors.

She come back from that college campus so much more grown up - even to the point of moaning about some of the boys there being sexist ROTFL

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/09/15 03:11 AM.

Become what you are
    Per our dr., I am working on some anger management stuff with my child, and one of the main things a person needs to do is identify (themselves) what are the triggers (thoughts, feelings, situations that are commonly problems, etc. ) ...then they themselves can begin to try to catch themselves before it gets bad. For anger management, there's probably few things that work worse than having someone else try to get you to calm down.

I know what you are describing isn't quite anger, but chagrin, at least, and similar self-control measures may work better than being told by others that they're loosing it... (probably there is a book somewhere for this!)

It's worth remembering that these kids experience emotions at a far greater intensity than their average peers, and so controlling them is a far greater effort.

Dude #222267 09/12/15 04:39 PM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    It's worth remembering that these kids experience emotions at a far greater intensity than their average peers, and so controlling them is a far greater effort.

I feel guilty for sometimes becoming impatient with him. I really don't want to add to his plate by making him feel he has displeased me. frown

OP Offline
    It's more like tenacity of thought. (Gifted, much?)

He just can't seem to get off the "hamster wheel" of his obsession until he reaches a conclusion that is satisfactory. We've (DH and I) learned that if we don't reach resolution on a subject before bedtime, DS will bring it up again then and will not calm to go to sleep. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit to slipping him a half a Melatonin tablet in dinner when it's REALLY bad.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Reminds me of our #2, who used to have intense, lengthy, irrational tantrums, which sometimes resulted in falling asleep from exhaustion. Tantrum over, right? But wait, there's more! At the end of the nap--or even the next morning--the tantrum would pick up right where it left off. Same phenomenon with any dangling issue. They literally could not be put to bed until truly resolved. It really put a new spin on the old "don't let the sun go down on your anger" saying.

On the plus side, this forced us early on to deal consistently and persistently with learning to manage emotions, rather than being managed by emotions. And, though DC is still a work in progress (aren't we all?), it has really paid off in self-awareness and self-management/de-escalation.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    aeh #222305 09/14/15 09:19 AM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aeh
    ...But wait, there's more! At the end of the nap--or even the next morning--the tantrum would pick up right where it left off. Same phenomenon with any dangling issue. They literally could not be put to bed until truly resolved. It really put a new spin on the old "don't let the sun go down on your anger" saying.

Yes! This is DS. He will bring things up that happened years ago, even. Forbid we should accidentally touch upon a trigger-word that reminds him of an old "beef" he hasn't yet resolved. I've done a mental kick in my pants for those slip-ups.

G
    G
    It sounds a little like an aspect of overexcitabilities. There was a Hoagies blog hop this month on this topic. You might be interested in checking out some of the articles: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/blog_hop_overexcitabilities.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM