Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Ack! In a nutshell, at pick up today, the principal said that THEY know what's best for DS7 and he should repeat 3 years of math. That way he "will learn" not to mistake addition and subtraction anymore. And he will also learn to write out all 3 methods of Everyday Math multiplication - and stop doing one method in his head. 3 years!

I lost it. No, I didn't yell. I simply stated that I refuse to allow my son to repeat any years of math education. I stated that I will send in the appropriate work for him tomorrow and he is to work on that during math time and nothing else.

Did I just shoot myself in the foot?

M
    M
    wow! That's about all I can say right now! frown

oh, maybe I'd suggest to the principal that you can teach him the material in question at home. I'm sure with his abilities he will be all caught up in a few days!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    And also, is there something I should do to make amends? Thanks!

D
    D
    Yikes!! If it helps at all, I probably would have had the same reaction--I am not good in the heat of the moment frown
    But I think you're right--DD(now 10)'s worst year was 3rd grade, when the (private school) teachers insisted that she correct all her mistakes and not make any new ones before moving on...and moving on consisted of adding digits (e.g., going from 2-digit multiplication and division to 3-, to 4-, and so on). That was only part of the problem, but DD absolutely hated it.

I would try to find articles that might support your viewpoint, although I am very sorry I don't know of any off the top of my head, just anecdotal stuff I think from here and Hoagie's Gifted, but the general idea is that gifted kids can often learn new ideas and enjoy doing that rather than getting everything 'perfect' on problems they find boring. Then I might try to schedule a meeting, saying something like 'sorry, I was surprised by what you said at pickup and I would like to discuss it with you.' And then try to persuade. But if that's where the principal is at this point, I don't know how well anything would work regardless of what you said.

Sorry you're having to deal with this!
    Best of luck,
    Dbat

I'm not seeing the problem. You didn't yell, or otherwise misbehave. You described that certain things are non-negotiable, because in your mind, they're non-negotiable. They should know that.

Honestly, any school administrator who tells you to your face that they know your child better than you do needs to be taken down a peg.

Three methods of multiplication? Really??

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Yes, Dude, 3 methods of multiplication. "Your son refused to illustrate the 3 different ways to multiply according to Everyday Math. He NEEDS to know that."

Here's the funny part: they agreed to let him work on his own at his level. So, maybe I should be this way all the time? I actually got somewhere today!

D
    D
    and down a second peg for blindsiding you at pick-up with this kind of major curveball. seriously - that is crazy! my sympathies...

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    It's clear to me that we need to leave this school. Not just because of this. This nuttiness has been going on for almost a year.

Our options:
    1.partial homeschooling (if they are ok with it),
    2.private school that I think will certainly be a lot better but not perfect (I've already met with them, was blunt about our needs and what we're dealing with. They gave all the right answers. I have also talked to other parents in a similar position and I hear good things.)
    3.full grade skip now to get him out sooner

full time homeschooling is not an option as DS would not be ok with that

I'm so upset still. Not just because of this but because they have been really deceptive and just awful all along.

N
    N
    The whole point of Everyday Math, theoretically, is that there are different ways to do things, and people should be able to find one they like. Not that they have to do everything three ways.

I'm with Dude -- I don't see any problem.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    Yes, Dude, 3 methods of multiplication. "Your son refused to illustrate the 3 different ways to multiply according to Everyday Math. He NEEDS to know that."

Here's the funny part: they agreed to let him work on his own at his level. So, maybe I should be this way all the time? I actually got somewhere today!

Probably. People often back down when you stand up to them.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but I fear that teachers or administrators who get rigid about things like what you've described won't be interested in looking at much of anything you show them, including A Nation at Risk, books, or whatever. The sense I've had from many people is an overall lack of interest.

You may want to feel them out to see if they're interested in learning about giftedness. If they aren't, I'd take the victory and NOT apologize. You have nothing to apologize for (but they might).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM