Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #167938 09/16/13 01:46 PM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Do you have any children who act out when they are free playing?

If DS4 is not engaged in any kind of structured activities, I can almost certain to find him misbehaving (e.g. climbing on the basketball hoop, terrorizing his younger sister, etc). He is especially bad when we are outside - I was talking to his doctor when he sat down on the floor and took his shoes off and acting silly.

He has no problem concentrating if I give him structured activities – crafts, practice writing, do worksheet, Lego, but he is so wild up when he is free playing.

Any advices on this? TIA

When he's engaged in free play, who is playing with him? Is he by himself? Or is it just him and the younger sibling?

Free play is incredibly valuable in human development. One of its many benefits is that it's where kids learn social boundaries. They experiment with rule-making and rule-breaking. There are consequences involved, because if the play isn't rewarding to all players, the game ends. Your DS does need someone who can hold him accountable, though, and a younger sibling would have trouble with that. So that's where you'd need to find some peers for him to play with, and/or step into that role yourself.

One trap you'll want to avoid is over-structuring as a way to avoid the problem. Sometimes kids act out as a result of spending too much time in structured activities. It's quite stressful to conform all the time... another benefit of free play is that it functions as a safety valve to let off that pressure. As such, my DW and I act as guardians of our DD's play time, and start taking action anytime her structured day is getting excessive.

Beyond that, I don't have any wisdom to offer that you haven't heard before, as all I can do is recommend the same tried and true methods for dealing with misbehavior you've heard before.

For more information on free play and its MANY benefits: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/119/1/182.full

P
    P
    Sometimes usually when they are tired and/or hungry. Being able to self entertain doesn't come easily to all kids but is a useful skill.

A
    A
    I have to suggest that a certain amount of acting out by a 4yo is to be expected, and sometimes even encouraged smile Surely every 4yo should occasionally get to be a rascal! Also I know you probably couldn't think of any good examples right when you were posting, but taking shoes off during a boring doctor visit (definitely not free play) wouldn't be anything I'd blink an eyelid at ... neither is climbing, nor probably sibling terrorising within reason. Maybe check if your expectations around standards of behaviour are not a little too high? Have you got lots of cool stuff to free play with? Get some equipment that he is allowed to climb on if the basketball hoop is out (and nothing too easy!) smile

C
    C
    Yes. Our son(s) are always eager to find something to do... and the older one (7) is especially good at finding things that are irritating or problematic. YDS is better at finding things to do that are more productive and parentally approved (building something, playing with his cars, etc.).

We try to keep books on hand, which is handy for times when he is at "loose ends." Sometimes we have had to give up and send him to the basement when he starts tormenting his brother. That sounds harsh, but it is full of toys and craft supplies and puzzles, lots to do once he gets over the complaints about being there.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have changed my timeout strategy a little bit - from time-based, which he whined the whole time, to counting-based, which he gets done with timeout when he is done counting. It helps tremendously.

Originally Posted by AvoCado
    Maybe check if your expectations around standards of behaviour are not a little too high?

Can you tell I am a perfectionist myself?

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM