Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    HelenC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I was all set to have my daughter start at the public kindergarten here but something just didn't feel right, so I decided to look into a private option, primarily because while I think my daughter would academically be more than fine in K, she makes the cutoff by just a few days and socially she is very shy and has a lot of anxiety in large group settings.

At the ninth hour (i.e. last week), I applied to a private school near us and had her tested (requirement for application). She was accepted into the program, but for preK, not K because their cutoff is earlier. The preK is full-day, five days a week though.

I'm not sure what to do. I was leaning towards the private option because though it's pricey, it's a smaller class size and there is much more individualized instruction happening. This school has a reputation for being academically "rigorous" so their preK is more like a K, K is more like 1st, etc. I think their teaching is very hands-on, open-ended and investigative/exploratory, which would be good for my extremely inquisitive daughter.

However, I received her test scores a couple of days ago that seem to indicate that she is performing above grade level. Would it be a mistake to enroll her in preK rather than K? Or does it really matter that much as this age? Also, I'm not sure how I should interpret her test scores, how significant is a 99.9% at this young an age? I'm thinking it's too early to mean much at all.

What should I do? Am I just being an over-protective first time kindergarten parent? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by HelenC; 08/13/13 10:20 PM. Reason: brevity, sorry new to this
    P
    P
    I can't really give any advice. I would personally prefer my gifted child went to a play based pre school rather than an academic pre-K. If she is advanced it just adds another year of frustration to her life that she can probably do without. Or try the public school and transfer her later if you don't like it.

I thought there were more tests in the WPPSI though.

Last edited by puffin; 08/12/13 02:00 AM.
    C
    C
    It's really hard to advise, because it depends crucially on the schools involved. I wouldn't pick the private school because it's rigorous, but high staff:student ratios do give them the possibility to be more flexible and individual. My son's with his age-peers in such a school and it's working well. But that works because this school really does work with the children as individuals - not all do. Equally, some public schools do brilliantly for their children. The right advice may be "visit again, and trust your gut".

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    I'll just bet they accepted her! I am struggling to find anything useful to say that's short enough to type on the phone, but basically I'd be more likely to consider grade1 than preK!

M
    M
    Good advice from Colin's mum! Also that I the full WPSSI, though possibly one o the verbal tests is one of the alternate tears not a standard core test, though I am not sure about that. The WPSSI3 has 3 each for VCI and PRI, two for PSI and no WMI section.

F
    F
    I agree with MumofThree. I would NOT consider holding her back. What type of programs does your local school have for highly gifted children?

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    I'll just bet they accepted her! I am struggling to find anything useful to say that's short enough to type on the phone, but basically I'd be more likely to consider grade1 than preK!
    I agree.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I agree.

I also agree. Did the private school do the testing? if so, and they are aware of the results, i have to wonder what they're thinking suggesting pre K for your 99.9 dc.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I agree.

I also agree. Did the private school do the testing? if so, and they are aware of the results, i have to wonder what they're thinking suggesting pre K for your 99.9 dc.

They can get an extra year or two of tuition fees.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I agree.

They can get an extra year or two of tuition fees.

That's the elephant in the room I didn't want to point out in case my cynicism is undeserved, but yeah. And if it's an institution that puts money before a child's well-being than it's one I'd want to rule out. Class size is tempting, but if they don't have a plan to accommodate your dc very unusual abilities, then she may well end up frustrated and underachieving.

Last edited by KADmom; 08/12/13 08:09 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM