Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    vwmommy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    No- not the one you're thinking of, but it got you to look, didn't it? smile Anyway, DS6 is only in Kindergarten and just this morning he told me that "School is boring." "All of my classes are boring" and "I don't like going to school." He's already going up to 2nd grade for math and reading, but he says those classes are boring too. Chinese was his favorite class but as of this morning that class is boring too. He says they keep learning the same words that they have already learned. He says the bus is the only part of the day he likes (even though there's a kid on there that has been pushing him around).
    There have been several things that have happened in the last week or so that may also be at play here. His 2nd grade teacher is back after having been gone since Thanksgiving (they had a long-term sub during that time) and I know he has a different teaching style than the sub did. Also, there was an incident as DS was leaving 2nd to go back to the K class the other day where another kid "tackled" DS and knocked him down. The teachers intervened and DS wasn't hurt but was upset. That same day DS got in trouble for being disruptive twice (once in 2nd and once in K).
    I'm not sure what to do at the moment- try to talk to DS and wait it out- maybe he's having a bad week, or go march in there now and demand.... Well I don't know what to demand wink. The momma bear in me wants to go in guns blazing and tell them to take better care of my child but the more rational side of me realizes that this probably isn't the best idea. Any thoughts?

Last edited by vwmommy; 02/09/12 03:08 PM.
    C
    C
    Argh, I had a long response written and I lost it. Short version - my DS7 started saying school was boring about 2 weeks after winter break in K last year. After asking lots of questions, we came to the conclusion that it was lack of physical activity during the school day more than anything else. Some parts of their school day *are* boring, but all kids can get bored in school, not just gifted ones, KWIM? You hear that word with a gifted child though and immediately start to wonder if your kid's getting enough challenge and if some other program would be a better place. Our school isn't the perfect fit, but after looking at lots of other schools, none of the others are perfect fits either.

I agree that going in and demanding something when you don't know what you're demanding is not such a great idea! I'd take a few weeks to ask your son questions after school, see how things are going socially, emotionally, and academically for him at school, volunteer in the classroom if you can to observe how his class functions, and try to figure out the true cause of his complaints. Once you can get a better understanding of what's causing them, you can determine what you might like changed, if anything, and then work as a partner (never guns blazing on the first approach!) with his teachers. The fact that he's going up to 2nd grade for math and reading means that this school is on your side! I'd think they'd be willing to work with you, once you have a better idea of what your son needs. If he's like mine, maybe what he needs more than anything is more recess, but we're more likely to get hit by an asteroid (or is it a meteor? DS is asleep, otherwise I'd ask him...) than have that happen at our school. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM