Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #102006 05/11/11 07:16 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS8 (one grade skip in 3rd grade public school) ended up getting in school suspension today after an incident on the playground this morning before school. incident was nothing major (confirmed by principal) but for some reason DS8 could not calm down afterwards. He kept being rude and insubordinate to the adults involved. It ended with him saying that school was a huge waste of time.

He spent the entire day in the in-school suspension. He spent the day with a 5th grade classroom sitting with the teacher's aide. Talking to him after school it was the BEST day ever. He did all his work. Listened to the 5th grade lessons and even took a 5th grade math test (he got 100%). When I reminded him that the day was supposed to be a punishment he laughed...telling me that it was awesome and he needed a break from his regular classroom.

I'm worried that he thinks he has found a new way to make his day more interesting-- however the principal told me that the next step for rude, disrespect is full out of school suspension! And to think I thought we were having a good year...

Crisc
    Crisc. Hugs!!!!
    We have been there done that and it hurts. Sounds like it is time to crank up the advocacy pants and ask for 5th grade math at the least....what grade does your building change?
    The placement might have been good for 6 months but our kids grow in spurts and there is no garentee on lifespan of accomidations....darn.
    L&ml
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Our building only goes until 5th grade. I can't even think beyond 5th grade. I don't think DS actually wants more skips or subject acceleration due to social reasons. We have really tried to let him lead this year and not push too much advocacy. Unfortunately he has spent the year coasting academically but making huge strides socially...looks like it may be time to flip it around a little bit.

Crisc

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM