Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    To all who defended our children's right to the education they need, and deserve, over the weekend, thank you! I recognized a few screen names as well as the words of wisdom often shared here. It is such a relief to see that there are people fighting the good fight. You guys are definitely role models, I have always been a watcher, an analyzer, but I guess I am going to have to try on being an advocate. The posts made me so mad, it was so comforting that at least 75 like mided people got there first!

If you missed the blog go here:
    http://marjorieingall.com/shut-up-about-your-gifted-child/
    Or the comment about where I saw it on:
    http://themorechild.com/

K
    K
    Thanks for the update on that. Glad to see my comment (and many others) finally got through. Interesting response.

I am sympathetic to people in NYC and the obnoxious race to fill the PG spots in the city, with test prep, jockeying, interviews for 4 year olds, etc. I still don't understand how cutting down parents trying to advocate the best education for their own children is remotely helpful.

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Living in NYC I have very mixed views. On the one hand, I was the gifted 2e in a class of 44 (which just dates me, before class sizes were mandated) so I have a real horror of my kid being in a gifted pullout, or a gifted class with a 90% cut off. And i know the joy of getting to that specialized HS and finally being with my people. (interesting how there no one expects all to be equally bright but somehow when talking about 5 yr olds can't make that distinction). But on the other hand I get why parents fight so hard, the resource allocation stinks! So it makes it much easier to say why not my kid, my kid needs it too, or that kid doesn't. But I completely agree, the nastiness is so uncalled for, especially from someone who had choices! It just made my day to see the outcry even as I hate the need for it!!!

But I have to admit, just like many of the posters said, it's all about experiences. I hhought my kid would be bright, but i didn't expect this - who would! Until you have it, you don't get it. I was reading the unschooling post and just died LOL when one described their version and mentioned,

And I've asked that he contribute a certain amount to the planning -- locations and species to focus on -- and that he get that to me by March at the latest so I can figure out our schedule (some things are seasonal - I don't want to hear in September that he wishes we could have volunteered at the turtle sanctuary during breeding season!).

I could see myself saying that!!! Its just as crazy as will you stop reading that book and go to the bathroom!!' So maybe I could be charitable and say they just don't get it, but, then I just get depressed because that would make it hopeless and I refused to go there, instead I am cheered by the fighters!!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM