Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #29920 11/09/08 02:11 PM
    A
    az1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    My DD9 is going to be seeing Wicked (a surprise trip) and I wanted to get the soundtrack and the book for her to read before we go on our trip. I can easily work in the book because her older cousins are obsessed with Wicked. I don't think she'll put 2 and 2 together.

My question is the appropriateness of the book on which Wicked is based. Wicked - The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West has great reviews, is worth 25 AR points, but a few of the reviews mention sexual situations in the book. Can someone explain this to me? This is a book that my daughter can easily read by herself but I would like to know what I'm getting into. Also, any insight or need-to-know info on the musical itself?

Thanks!

Great question! I've been thinking about going to see it with DD8, almost nine. Would love to know if there are age appropriate issues I should know about beforehand.

Listening with interest.........

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked
    (pick the musical in the list)

Here is a big write up from wikipedia. I haven't seen the musical but I've heard it is great. I don't know about age appropriate issues though. I attempted to read the book about a year ago but I just couldn't get into it blush but I have heard really great things about the musical. Hope it is fun if you get to go!!! smile

You rock EandC. Good to see you around! grin

Back at ya 'Neato!!!!! smile

I saw the musical in Boston. I thought it was great. Nothing stood out as being inappropriate for a 9 year old in the musical--there were lots of children there. I have not read the book so I can't say much for the content of that and it's appropriateness. Have a great time! As a child I was obsessed with the Wizard of Oz and this seemed to really fill in some of the holes in the story.

Crisc
    A
    az1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I just found this really good info -

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-for-kids.htm

I sounds like the book has some sexual content that the musical doesn't. Hmmm. I've also read that it is beneficial to read the book before seeing the musical. Maybe I can read ahead.......

C
    C
    Hi,

I brought my daughter to the musical when she was 7 and she loved it. There was really nothing inappropriate for kids. I would not recommend the book for that age though. I didn't read it, but my sister said there was a lot more to the book than the musical. I also found this from the School Library Journal review: "sometimes the four-letter words and sexual explicitness distract from the charm of the tale."

Enjoy your time at the show!

The book is VERY inappropriate for kids, IMHO. There is a very graphic scene where puppets are having sex, and another weird hedonistic scene with people at a club.

I haven't seen the musical, no no help there.

A
    A
    I totally agree with Lorel's description. I read the book last year for my book club and also would characterize it as VERY inappropriate for kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM