Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #21177 07/24/08 04:30 PM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So I snuck in on the other thread ... blush It's been wild around here, and I haven't had *any* time for *any* of my boards! So here's a quick update on me and my ds6.

First of all, the reason I'm not around as much is because I got a new job -- that's *not* night shift! It's great to be on a normal schedule again. I'm an RN, and I'm not in the hospital anymore, which is a huge relief to me -- it was very stressful (I was on an acute cardiac care unit). So anyway, that means I'm neither at home during the day nor on the computer while patients are sleeping at night ... so a lot less posting time. But overall, that's a really good thing!

And the interesting stuff -- ds6, who I've started referring to as the Kindergamer, aka KG, on my other board (and I think I started here last time I checked in, too). For those that don't know us, KG is at least EG as tested on the WPPS-III and the WIAT. I tried to take him to do a WISC early in the summer, but he was *not* having it, and the tester stopped after two subtests and suggested we reschedule. smirk

Anyway, KG was in kindergarten at the local public school last year, and despite our best efforts to get some sort of differentiation for him, they weren't having it -- they rigged his IOWA Acceleration Scale and filled it out without parental involvement, they withheld his standardized test scores that would have placed him solidly in their GT first grade math program until it was too late to do anything, etc. It was frustrating for us and no good for KG.

So ... this fall he'll be at a private gifted school near us! They, erm, bumped him up the wait list after seeing his test scores and having him for a day-long visit, and we got the financial aid we needed, so that's where he'll be. I'm really excited about this place and hope it's a good fit. Good lourd -- for the tuition, it'd friggen better be! cry

He'd been boycotting chapter books while in kindergarten, but this summer he's back on a reading rampage -- he's enjoying Ramona books, and read all 6 Kirsten American Girl books in one sitting (we were in the car for a two-hour road trip, and yes, he really did read them!). He loves Magic Treehouse, but I bought him High Tide in Hawaii and he was done with it 30 minutes later, so I think we need to move up the challenge level!

Mathwise, he's really on a roll -- we were driving the other day, and he was asking how much gas our cars can hold. We told him that the Rabbit holds 14 gallons, the Mini holds 13 gallons, and the new Mini will hold 13.2 gallons. He thought about that for a second, and said, "That's 13 and one fifth, right?" I seriously had no idea he could do conversions like that, so it was pretty cool. When he was younger I thought his strength was verbal, but the older he gets, the mathier he appears.

He was turned down at Davidson when we applied in December, and I was hoping for good results on the WISC, but I'm considering applying with portfolio method this fall (they said we could do that, given that his WPPSI scores were *soo* close). Maybe. They might help a bit with the crazy tuition! I have a few new videos, and I may have him do some math worksheets ... but how do they know he hasn't been coached? Do they just take you at your word?

Anyway, that's it from us! I'm going to have to read up on everything that's gone on! And I can't promise to be around more ... but I'm trying! cool

Last edited by Mia; 07/24/08 04:32 PM.

Mia
    Dottie #21184 07/24/08 05:24 PM
    D
    D
    Given the tuition, I'm glad for you that the new school is close to home! Best wishes and thanks for the update.

delbows #21188 07/24/08 06:02 PM
    A
    Ace Offline
    A
    What is the private gifted school in Chicago- if you don't mind me asking>

Alison
    Ace #21195 07/24/08 06:46 PM
    Hi Mia, good to see you back. It sounds like things are looking up for your son if not for your finances wink

What a bummer about the testing. Perhaps after a few months in the new school he will be more open to showing up what he can do.

LMom
    LMom #21202 07/24/08 08:08 PM
    Congrats on the new job, and I'm glad you're happier in it!

You know I'm waiting to hear how school goes for KG, and of course I'm still pulling like mad for DYS for him.

Anyway, thanks for the update, and please do stay in touch. I miss you! smile

Kriston
    LMom #21208 07/24/08 08:21 PM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    $15k. And that's the cheaper, closer one. One of the benefits of being a younger parent (I'm 26) -- I don't feel guilty asking my parents for help. wink

Thanks for the well-wishes. I appreciate it!

Mia
    Mia #21211 07/24/08 08:38 PM
    Hi Mia!

All sounds good! Hooray, it's all working out!!!

Sent you a p.m.

incogneato #21215 07/24/08 11:07 PM
    acs Offline
    Welcome back and congrats on the day shift job and (fingers crossed) finding a school where KG can thrive!

acs #21220 07/25/08 04:35 AM
    Oh wow to be 26 again! The school I looked at for DS8 is $24,000K/year. Ain't gonna happen w/ another kiddo going into K.

Dazed&Confuzed #21222 07/25/08 05:07 AM
    Q
    Q
    Mia, So glad to hear good news about you and KG!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM