Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #5854 12/13/07 01:00 PM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Please share the analogies that you like most concerning the GT.

Here is mine:

People are like a carriage with horses. The horse are the brains and the carriage is the body.
    GT people have top racing horses.
    But sometimes the reins are not well connected to the carriage, or the wheels are misaligned, and then we have 2E.
    Sometimes the horses are forced to slow down and they become impatient, or agressive or apathic. They may grow too fat for lack of exercise and may become slow.

But if everything is ok then they race like .... (your suggestions here ;))

Isa #5859 12/13/07 01:08 PM
    But if everything is ok then they race like...the wind; absolutely free to move where their hearts take them.

Mom2LA #5861 12/13/07 01:19 PM
    I like to think of my son as having a racecar up on cement blocks, reving his engine and going nowhere, when the other kids are learning the rules of the road on their bicycles. Of course things have improved so much in the last 2 years, but in 4th grade, that was what it felt like.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #5885 12/13/07 06:16 PM
    We use the racecar on blocks analogy here, too. We realized that DS6 spent the last 3 years or so standing still. Now that we removed the blocks, his engine runs like a fine racing machine. It's fun to watch!

Of course, I love the well-used and brilliant cheetah analogy...

Kriston
    Kriston #5903 12/13/07 11:27 PM
    I really liked Trinity's analogy to wings I read in another post. Trin, would you post it here?
    And by the way, how was the STORM???!!!
    You were in the news today!

Ania #5920 12/14/07 07:11 AM
    No Problem, although Ania, this is a public board, and you can quote me anytime.

I'll embellish a bit:
    My son was quite "invisible" to many of the School Folks at his old school. I even made up a story in my mind that his giftedness was like a pair of huge, heavy, invisable wings, that most teachers couldn't see. These wings were filled with light, and sparkled so brightly that looking directly at them could be painful. All most people could detect was the way those invisible wings knocked things over and made DS wobble when he walked. Any one could tell he was different, and most people thought he was just clumsy and awkward. Which he was, both at walking, flying and sitting at a desk. His flying was clumbsy because he was young and inexperienced, but I did sometimes observe tremendous grace. But didn't every mother find her own child to be miraculous at times? Obviously there was almost no place to actually practice flying during the school day. Even his parents were mostly concerned that he hold his wings politely in and not knock over the other children. It was sad that he came home so tired and worn out from holding those wings in at an strange angle, but it couldn't be helped. The wings would take care of themselves until the wonderful day when he could use them, right?

Well - things didn't turn out that way, and we got quite an education. I'm grateful to DS for opening my eyes. As sad as it is when a teacher doesn't see the wings, there isn't anything sadder than a winged person who can't see their own wings, but only feels a vauge heavy weight, and see the folk who get mysteriously knocked down. The number one reason for educating ourselves about gifted issues, and unraveling our own pasts, is to be able to hold a mirror up to our children so they can see and understand themselves better, strengths and challenges both.

Love,
    Trinity

Grinity #5925 12/14/07 07:34 AM
    Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by Trinity
    No Problem, although Ania, this is a public board, and you can quote me anytime.

I'll embellish a bit:
    My son was quite "invisible" to many of the School Folks at his old school. I even made up a story in my mind that his giftedness was like a pair of huge, heavy, invisable wings, that most teachers couldn't see. These wings were filled with light, and sparkled so brightly that looking directly at them could be painful. All most people could detect was the way those invisible wings knocked things over and made DS wobble when he walked. Any one could tell he was different, and most people thought he was just clumsy and awkward. When he was, both at walking, flying and sitting at a desk. His flying was clumbsy because he was young and inexperienced, but I did sometimes observe tremendous grace. But didn't every mother find her own child to be miraculous at times? Obviously there was almost no place to actually practice flying during the school day. Even his parents were mostly concerned that he hold his wings politely in and not knock over the other children. It was sad that he came home so tired and worn out from holding those wings in at an strange angle, but it couldn't be helped. The wings would take care of themselves until the wonderful day when he could use them, right?

Wow, Trinity, that's fabulous. It gives me goose bumps, it's so good. I want to steal it too! I see my own ds so much in those words.

Mia
    Mia #5931 12/14/07 08:05 AM
    Thanks for the compliment Mia!
    Here's a link to hoagies for some more - http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/analogies.htm

BTW - don't steal my analogy, but you can borrow it as needed! Just send people here to "Gifted Issues" so they can meet me!

Smiles and Winks,
    Trinity

Grinity #6083 12/17/07 11:30 AM
    Hey everyone!
    I hope you checked out the Hoagie's link, because I want you to return there and see the "new" analogy, Spread His Wings and Fly!

I felt it was time to change my name. So appologies to all who think of me as Trinity - if it helps, then think of Grinity as Trinity's Sister, who is grinning so wide now that her little boy is finally growing up due to his more appropriate school situation, and a little bit of time!

I've always wanted to say something well enough that it got added to Hoagie's Page. This is my first.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Grinity #6086 12/17/07 11:58 AM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Trinity
    Hey everyone!
    I hope you checked out the Hoagie's link, because I want you to return there and see the "new" analogy, Spread His Wings and Fly!

I felt it was time to change my name. So appologies to all who think of me as Trinity - if it helps, then think of Grinity as Trinity's Sister, who is grinning so wide now that her little boy is finally growing up due to his more appropriate school situation, and a little bit of time!

I've always wanted to say something well enough that it got added to Hoagie's Page. This is my first.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Hi Grinity!

I really like your analogy smile

And I am happy for your son too. smile smile smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM