Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Mark D.), 137 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    Bummer. I was hoping DD would make the cutoff because I wanted her to meet other kids her age who might be attending some of the WCATY programs.
    My twins and I went to the WCATY ceremony last year, and IMO it was not a great event for meeting other kids. They packed a large auditorium (they honor 4th-8th grade) and it was a *long* program. My kids (4th grade at the time) had really wanted to go, but I was glad I brought a bag of books with us as they both read all through the ceremony. The reception afterward was totally jammed and difficult to mingle - we took off right after getting our certificates and sugar.

Last edited by amylou; 04/11/11 08:32 AM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by herenow
    Comparing the NUMATS summary for 2010 to the one for 2011, I think the test may have been a little harder this year.

How do you figure? I came up with the opposite conclusion. For example, from what I can figure, it looks like it will be much harder to qualify for awards as there were so many more top scores this year than last. Wondering what I am missing.

All of my DD's percentiles were higher using the 2011 summary rather than the 2010 summary.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by amylou
    Bummer. I was hoping DD would make the cutoff because I wanted her to meet other kids her age who might be attending some of the WCATY programs.
    My twins and I went to the WCATY ceremony last year, and IMO it was not a great event for meeting other kids. They packed a large auditorium (they honor 4th-8th grade) and it was a *long* program. My kids (4th grade at the time) had really wanted to go, but I was glad I brought a bag of books with us as they both read all through the ceremony. The reception afterward was totally jammed and difficult to mingle - we took off right after getting our certificates and sugar.

Oh, okay. Then I guess it didn't really matter. There are some WCATY programs I think DD would enjoy, but she's not comfortable going without knowing anyone. I was looking for an easy way to meet more kids.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by erich
    Anyone know the info about the NUMATS award ceremony? I promised my ds8 that he has a chance to get a medal. His composite score is 99.7%. The total score (E+R+M+S) is 80. He would make it cutoff for last year's award ceremony. But it seems like no award for 3rd graders. What a disappointment.

We are in a similar situation. DD is doing a "provisional" grade skip for the rest of the school year that started after I had already registered her for the Explore test. She scored high enough to qualify for the 4th grade award ceremony, but is still registered as 3rd grader with Numats and with her school. I did call Numats about the issue before the test and they said it would be better for her to stay registered for the Explore as a 3rd grader. I guess I could call them back and see if she could get her grade level altered, but I do think there is a high probability that her school is not going to allow her to move to 5th grade next year. I've heard there can be issues with undoing grade skips and talent searches like Explore and National Spelling Bee. Hopefully, she'll qualify again next year for the Numats award ceremony. Its the effort, not the award, that matters most, right?

Warning: sleep deprived
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    Its the effort, not the award, that matters most, right?
    Absolutely - and the chance to work closer to readiness level on a daily basis at school!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Not the EXPLORE, but dd12 did find out that her ACT scores qualify her for our state ceremony for 8th graders. Since this will be her last year testing through talent search, I guess that will be a nice end.

That IS a nice way to end the series! Enjoy the ceremony!

M
    M
    CTD Award Ceremony Qualifying Scores are out, which are higher than last year:

4th Graders 83 29
    5th Graders 92 43
    6th Graders 95 38

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/docs/ctd/acscorecriteria2011.pdf

M
    M
    Thanks for posting, Midwest Dad! You always seem to have the scoop early! My dd10 didn't make the cutoff for this, but I did note that the older participants have a much higher percentage of awards, given that they need to meet fixed criteria. Something to aspire to in the future!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by meisje
    Thanks for posting, Midwest Dad! You always seem to have the scoop early! My dd10 didn't make the cutoff for this, but I did note that the older participants have a much higher percentage of awards, given that they need to meet fixed criteria. Something to aspire to in the future!

In fact, I am confused by the cutoff scores.
    The following is quoted from NUMATS faq:

Who is invited to participate in the CTD Award Ceremony at Northwestern University?
    After we analyze the test scores for all NUMATS participants who test before March, we establish the criteria for award ceremony eligibility. Invitations are mailed in late April to the highest-scoring students in grades 4 to 8, usually those who score in the top 1% for ACT and SAT and the top 2% for EXPLORE.

From http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/docs/ctd/StatSum2011.pdf
    The numbers of test takers are:
    4th Graders N=3227 3227*0.02=64 or 65
    5th Graders N=4660 4660*0.02=92
    6th Graders N=3477 3477*0.02=69

From http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/docs/ctd/acscorecriteria2011.pdf
    The numbers of invited test takers for 2011 are
    4th Graders 29
    5th Graders 43
    6th Graders 38

So I think that they only invite about top 1% for Explore test takers.

Do you think that I am right?

Last edited by MidwestDad; 04/21/11 07:16 AM.
    Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM