Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
    OP Offline
    Cathy - unfortunately, most of DS4's recent doc appointments have been the very unpleasant kind due to his many allergies and recent asthma diagnosis. He still doesn't trust me since he had his skin pokes for allergy testing. (I told him there would be no shots, just pokes. Afterwards he said "mom you lied. Pokes are just as bad as shots.) So it's just bad timing for "testing" right now!

Incidentally, I read somewhere that gifted kids tend to have more allergies. Does that even seem possible? Weird.

But I'm glad to hear your son enjoyed his brain checkup-- more ammunition. I'll tell DS4 that another 4 year old did this and had so much fun he wanted to do it again!

K
    K
    I don't know what you should say... but I can share how we laid it out.

We told then dd5 that she was going to meet with a man (the gender issue we knew would be a hurdle) and he'd ask lots of questions so we could know what kinds of books and games to buy later that week. Due to the perfectionist issue, we emphasized it wasn't important to us what she could answer right just that she focused and tried. If she did that we would be very proud. I did however brainlessly think I was going to be in the room. So, I crossed my fingers when he walked out and rather abruptly said I'm ___, come on in. (but it worked out well). We did not use the word test or doctor.

dd4 (our #2) is going soon. because of her challenging personality... we are being very careful not to imply we are doing anything fun after because I worry she may decide "she is done" before she actually is... figure I'll surprise her afterwards. The easier part is her big sitter thought it was fun and it comes across well to #2 when her sister talks to her about going. Our challenge will be as someone already posted not to do... #1 told #2 they'll play games and do puzzles. So now we have to break the mental image for #2 that his office is filled with toys and traditional princess puzzles :-)

I think the biggest trick for us is to be "all is normal" that day. No special good-byes from daddy and try to keep my tension out and cool in. I'm not stessing the outcome... as I think my posts have eluded to - I'm more concerned if she'll behave so we can get any feedback for counseling and ed decisions.

Hopefully, I can learn from your question and prepare better too.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Incidentally, I read somewhere that gifted kids tend to have more allergies. Does that even seem possible? Weird.

I saw that in Miraca Gross' book on Exceptionally Gifted Children. BTW, DS has env. allergies and food allergies so I know what you're talking about! DS prefers the blood test to the skin test because it's faster and he doesn't get all itchy.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LMom
    When DS was tested at the age of 5 we told him that we wanted him to take a few test to see when he can take special programs like the great astronomy class he just took in one of the museums. It wasn't exactly true, but it made him excited enough and guaranteed his cooperation smile

We made sure that we made it clear that there would be very easy questions, but that it was likely there would also be questions he wouldn't be able to answer. That it would be perfectly ok not to know a correct answer but that he should try to answer it anyway.

As for break, may be ask the psychologist to give him a break. My son took one for his IQ, but refused one for the achievement test. He was having too much fun, but I think a break would have done him good.

DS was also alone in the room. If it helps you can ask if you could walk your son in the room and spend a few minutes with him there.

Wow - first of all i want to say thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies. I have been worrying about this for weeks, trying to come up with good solutions, and all I had to do was hop on this fabulous website to get instant answers! What a great forum.

LMom - i like the advice about special programs. Although DS4 hasn't taken any classes, I can probably weave the Science Museum in somehow (the test will help us find out if you can go to more events at the Science Museum, or some such.) Hmmm, another thought that might get to him - i can say the testing will help us see what other kinds of computer games he might be ready for! That might work.

Your other advice on breaks and going into the room is great, too. Thanks so much!

I was allowed to be in the room when my dd was first tested at four and a half. She was very introverted and even with me in the room, she was hesitant to speak. She ended up not completing the test as she had what we recognize now as a blood sugar issue- she had a donut and cocoa for breakfast, what I considered a "treat" LOL, ended up making her crash 45 minutes into the testing process.

She was tested two years later and did fine without me in the room.

Testing a four year old is tough, even for a veteran administrator. Good luck!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kickball
    dd4 (our #2) is going soon. because of her challenging personality... we are being very careful not to imply we are doing anything fun after because I worry she may decide "she is done" before she actually is... figure I'll surprise her afterwards.

Oh oh. I didn't think of that "i'm done" mentality. Ugh. DS4 does that a lot, even when we're doing something I think is fun ("let's go, NOW!"). Well, I'll make sure he knows nothing fun until the whole thing is done. Rats.

The info on the the perfectionist issue is quite helpful too. Thank you and to everyone for giving concrete examples. I'm feeling like today is my lucky day! (incidentally, i can see that i'm going to have trouble in not becoming addicted to this forum.)

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I saw that in Miraca Gross' book on Exceptionally Gifted Children. BTW, DS has env. allergies and food allergies so I know what you're talking about! DS prefers the blood test to the skin test because it's faster and he doesn't get all itchy.

That's funny - DS4 was asking about getting a blood test instead of the skin test (he doesn't mind the blood tests either - he's had those for his dairy allergies). Too bad he needed the more sensitive skin test this time for the env. allergies.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    I was allowed to be in the room when my dd was first tested at four and a half. She was very introverted and even with me in the room, she was hesitant to speak. She ended up not completing the test as she had what we recognize now as a blood sugar issue- she had a donut and cocoa for breakfast, what I considered a "treat" LOL, ended up making her crash 45 minutes into the testing process.

She was tested two years later and did fine without me in the room.

Testing a four year old is tough, even for a veteran administrator. Good luck!

The psychologist recommended bringing lots of healthy snacks, so hopefully we can avoid any blood-sugar issues. I'm just starting to see this problem emerging at home [aargh - the monster is coming - get him something to eat quick!]

I worry about his age too, but if early k entrance is a recommended course of action, we've got to do it now i guess. frown

P
    P
    Cathy - unfortunately, most of DS4's recent doc appointments have been the very unpleasant kind due to his many allergies and recent asthma diagnosis. He still doesn't trust me since he had his skin pokes for allergy testing. (I told him there would be no shots, just pokes. Afterwards he said "mom you lied. Pokes are just as bad as shots.) So it's just bad timing for "testing" right now!

I have also read about the connection between allergies/asthma and GT. I don't know if it's true, but both of my DD's have asthma and environmental allergies.

DD9 had skin tests when she was 3 or 4, and she reacted much the same way. She sees that same doctor every 6 months now, and she doesn't like to go becaue she remembers the awful testing experience.

I hope this kind of testing goes much better for you!

feeling like today is my lucky day! (incidentally, i can see that i'm going to have trouble in not becoming addicted to this forum.)

LOL. Yeah, that's sure a problem when it comes to this forum smile I spend way too much time here wink Hmm, could this explain why this house looks the way it does?

Last edited by LMom; 02/28/08 12:25 PM.

LMom
    Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM