Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Originally Posted by Val
    ...state your case effectively and in writing.
    It's at least evidence that they may take us more seriously, in response to a written threat. smile Actual results remain to be seen. As of right now DS is saying he's "heard it all before" but willing to give it one last try.
    Glad to hear that they are threatenable and hope they follow through - particularly with the 'send him to High School if needed' Good for your DS for being willing to give that one last try.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Val Online Content
    Online Content
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    One objection is that it gives demonstrably poorer results here than you've experienced.

I prefer an exceptionally clear explanation of a concept, with concrete and pictorial representations perhaps, but without clutter such as description of things as machines when teaching multiplication, etc. Kids don't in my experience need to be babied to that extent.

I wrote a long letter to my son's private school about EM a few years ago. What bothered me most about it was/are a foundation of subtle, misleading mistakes. They turn it into a muddled curriculum.

For example, one way the kids learn "concepts of addition and subtraction" is by using a thing that looks like a calendar. They're supposed to learn that moving their finger to the right and down means "addition" and that moving it to the left and up means "subtraction." This is really just counting, not addition. I suppose the idea might make sense to adults who understand what addition is, but to a kid who has no clue what "addition" means, I can see it being confusing. And DS complained bitterly, saying, "Why can't we just ADD? It's so much EASIER!"

Plus, the numbers are laid out in rows from 1-10 (not 0-9). This layout puts the new set of tens on the line with the old set of tens. This is can lead to misconceptions about where a new set of ten starts. Plus, the calendar in my son's book left out the zero. Why no zero?

EM is also designed so that some of the problems have no right answers. Example: cut out a ruler and measure objects at home. There is no way for the teacher to know if the kids actually got the right measurements.

Don't get me started on asking second graders to cut out pictures of triangles/make collages, write about the presidents who are on coins, or write stories. None of these activities are mathematics (well, the triangles might be pre-math for pre-schoolers).

We carpooled with a girl in 5th grade; EM was even more fuzzy and muddled in her course. I remember something about dropping a flimsy ruler you cut out from the book and dropping/catching it as a way of measuring...something. The force of gravity, maybe? The appropriate experiment would have been to drop a ball from a defined height, anyway. I remember her mom complaining about that.

J
    J
    Obviously I've pushed an ideological button here, just by suggesting Everyday Math is not the end of the world.

U
    U
    I prefer an exceptionally clear explanation of a concept, with concrete and pictorial representations perhaps, but without clutter such as description of things as machines when teaching multiplication, etc. Kids don't in my experience need to be babied to that extent.

Yeah, this was my issue with it, too. And the kind of stuff Val is talking about. There seemed to be a lot of blah blah blah and lalala with EDM. A lot of bibbidy bobbidy boo, ooh look, what's over here? Were we talking about addition? Never mind! Now let's talk about squares!

There's still a bit of that with DD's current curriculum, but it's seeming much more straight ahead and just....sensible. They seem to get all the way through a concept before they move on. I am really glad to be rid of EDM. I don't know--maybe it works betters for kids lacking innate number sense? DD has that in spades.

Val Online Content
    Online Content
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    There seemed to be a lot of blah blah blah and lalala with EDM. A lot of bibbidy bobbidy boo, ooh look, what's over here? Were we talking about addition? Never mind! Now let's talk about squares!

laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by Val; 05/18/12 10:28 AM. Reason: That was worth more smilies
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by Johnny Marzetti
    My daughter is in second grade now (going into 4th next year)
    Hi JM! Welcome! Congratulations on getting a skip for your daughter. I've found that getting a school that prides itself on it's quality to admit that it can't quite accomidate every blessed child in every possible way can be quite the challenge. I hope it was easy in your situation. Anyway, glad you found us and hope to hear more about your family.
    Smile,
    Grinity

Hi, Grinity! Thank you for the welcome. Actually, I found it to be very easy. I think it's because everyone involved in the decision did their best to keep an open mind about all the possibilities and respect the views of everyone else involved in the process. Our school has a very progressive approach to education and the administration is always looking for ways things can be done better, so there really isn't much defensiveness there. An ongoing dialog with families is part of their marketing. After some of the horror stories I've read online, I'm very glad and count myself lucky!

Val Online Content
    Online Content
    Originally Posted by Johnny Marzetti
    Wow, I just registered and I'm already going to get into some flame war. Great.

You. Are. Wrong. And you don't know what you're talking about. And you're extremely offensive about it, which is why I'm being so blunt. You should read up on the Dunning-Kruger effect before you type another word about math pedagogy.

Err...wow. We were criticizing Everyday Math, not you. People gave specific examples about what we don't like about EM. What's wrong with that, and how does it constitute flaming you?

If you disagree, feel free to present evidence supporting your opinions, but please don't make baiting accusations or use name-calling/flaming (and please don't accuse people of doing what you're actually doing).

I've spent time teaching in the classroom, am regularly invited to review education grant applications at the federal level, and have been funded myself. I do know what I'm talking about. They invite me back in part because of the kinds of criticisms I make.

Last edited by Val; 05/18/12 11:43 AM.
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Val
    Err...wow. We were criticizing Everyday Math, not you. People gave specific examples about what we don't like about EM. What's wrong with that, and how does it constitute flaming you?

If you disagree, feel free to present evidence supporting your opinions, but please don't make baiting accusations or use name-calling/flaming (and please don't accuse people of doing what you're actually doing).

No, there is a clear difference between saying, "I don't like this and here's why." and "This is stupid and I'm going to make fun of it." Before you made your post, I had stated that I had a positive personal experience with something, and the very clear tone of your post was that anyone who had anything positive to say about it was an idiot. And now you complain about turnabout.

M
    M
    Please avoid personal insults, and keep in mind the board rules (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/ubb/boardrules/v/1.html), particularly the following. Otherwise I will be forced to close this thread.

Be polite. When you write a message, please treat other people the way you would like to be treated. We welcome comments that contribute to a discussion in a meaningful and/or thought-provoking way. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with something, please ensure that your comment adheres to the guidelines. Personal attacks are not allowed, nor are messages that threaten, are profane, are degrading or are obscene.

Stick to the topic. If you want to make a comment that will substantially change the direction of a thread, please start a new thread. You may write a comment in the old thread noting that you are starting a new one with a link. Do not �hijack� a thread.

Do not bully or insult. In any discussion, people may disagree with your opinions. This is a normal part of any discussion. If you do not agree with someone, feel free to post a thoughtful, constructive response, but do not bully or insult people.

If you are new to the forum, keep in mind that some members have been posting here for years and have been �around the block�, and can be a great source of information. You can determine how long a poster has been a member by viewing the date they registered and how frequently they post by viewing their number of posts.

J
    J
    If you're going to delete one of my posts please just delete all of them. I won't be back here.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM