Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by treecritter
    He's averaging about 85% on the second grade tests, and about 60% on the third grade tests. And, to be honest, I've never taught him most of the things on those tests, and I know he hasn't learned it in school. So I have no idea how he learned a lot of it.

Okay, but he's getting 85% with essentially no prior exposure to the material? So much of elementary curriculum is repetitive, and the first few months of school are actually review, I'm betting he could learn that 15% very quickly in third grade. Also, look at the type of questions he's missing and see if there's a pattern. It could just be due to a lack of vocabulary or exposure to a topic. When the GT coordinator gave assessments to my DS, he would miss things like questions that wanted him to use "tally marks". He didn't know what that meant. When the teacher showed him, then he got all the questions correct. He had a similar issue on the reading test because I've never taught him any "reading skills" (LOL) and he didn't know what a prefix or root word was. Lots of "circle the root word" questions, and he got some of them right, but not the ones that were purposely tricky. So you might just have some gaps to address. And what I've been told is not to worry about the gaps when you're talking about a kid who needs to be exposed to something once to learn it. They'll fill in the gaps quite easily. Just make sure you help them find them and remind them to ask when they don't know something.

I would not worry about minor gaps (like 15%) at any point, but in particular at the lower grades. As radwild says, the material is incredibly repetitive.

B
    B
    Yah! My kids don't take those tests because they go to private school but even better because they haven't ever seen it. We take the CogAT and the ITBS, but not the state mandated tests the public school takes. You'd be surprised, I bet many states have past tests on there. There all about NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND so any way they can offer practice, they will. I think I found it on the state board website. Had to do some digging but it was there. I think it may even be in with where you'd find what the state standards per grade are or something. Worth investigating!

B
    B
    In fact, I just googled state proficiency practice tests and a wealth of information with past tests that were released showed up for many states!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM