Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    bh14 #100061 04/22/11 07:45 AM
    I agree with the others - fill out an IAS form. It really helped our local school overcome the fears of a grade skip by giving them an objective way to measure whether the student would be a good candidate for skipping.

Also, try to stay on the good side of the prinicipal, because you will want help selecting a teacher who wants your child and who is also good at differentiation (many kids who have gotten grade skips still need additional differentiation).

good luck!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Okay, I think I have a game plan. I haven't gotten IAS yet, but I will. In the meantime, I downloaded several placement tests for math and reading, around the 2nd or 3rd grade level. He's averaging about 85% on the second grade tests, and about 60% on the third grade tests. And, to be honest, I've never taught him most of the things on those tests, and I know he hasn't learned it in school. So I have no idea how he learned a lot of it. Anyway, I dusted off the psychology minor from college and found several articles and exerpts from books that show that if a child is not challenged, it's bad for them in about a dozen different ways. And I got together a folder of samples of the math that he does (and enjoys) at home, along with his journal, in which he writes stories that are ten times better than the ones he does at school. I have two main concerns. FIrst of all, the 85% on the tests. Is that good enough to skip? I want him to be challenged, but I don't want him to be totally overwhelmed, or for him to miss 15% of what he is supposed to learn in second grade. My second concern is that his work at home is SO much better than his work at school. He gets good grades, but he knows exactly what he has to do in order to get those good grades, and does no extra. That is not going to be good enough if he's in third grade next year instead of second, and I suspect that's the argument I'm going to get when I have this conference. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by treecritter
    He's averaging about 85% on the second grade tests, and about 60% on the third grade tests. And, to be honest, I've never taught him most of the things on those tests, and I know he hasn't learned it in school. So I have no idea how he learned a lot of it. FIrst of all, the 85% on the tests. Is that good enough to skip? I want him to be challenged, but I don't want him to be totally overwhelmed, or for him to miss 15% of what he is supposed to learn in second grade.
    If you son had been in 2nd grade and scored 85% on his 'final exams' would you consider having him repeat 2nd grade? Probably not. If the IQ scores support that the child is gifted, or unusually gifted, then 85% -without a drop of effort or teaching or exposure - is probably just right. You want to put him where he would be able to get As with some effort.

As for the bad attitude at school - that may well clear up if they start giving him some work in his readiness zone. Of if not, you still have plenty of time before grades count in High School to figure it out.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Wow, Grinity - every time I read one of your posts, I think, "Geez, that's pretty obvious - why didn't I think of it?!?" You're absolutely right. I think I'm just overthinking this because I'm not looking forward to the huge fight that is no doubt coming, and because I've heard so many arguments AGAINST skipping a grade (very few of which I think have much merit). Thanks again!

F
    F
    A few thoughts of mine.... Sometimes when I hear myself "gearing" up for the big fight or whatever, I realize that my own stuff has been triggered. When my own stuff is triggered, like the lack of recognition that I got through school, or swallowing the bitter taste of boredom for years at a time, I have to find a quiet way to nurture myself and then face the others. I am not sure what people notice or if its even true, but it seems when I have my stuff in order advocating for my kiddo is smoother with the school personnel. This board has helped me tons with getting to that place.

When my kiddo was in fourth grade they gave her the year end math test for fourth grade and she scored 84% on it..... I could not believe they were going to make her do a whole year worth of stuff to get 15% of material that she needed.... Through a school switch mid-year the new school took her from fourth and put her in sixth grade math with three months of the school year left. My daughter had quite a few gaps. Enough that I actually attended class with her for the first three days to show how to do some of the basic stuff that she missed so she could focus on the more advanced stuff. Those three months were I think some of my daughters favorite months in math. She shone and loved the challenge. She ended as the top student in the class. I think she was missing more than the 15% at the beginning but not having to learn all the basics with tons of repetition made her really happy. We asked for a grade skip at that point, but they scared us off with the whole older dating friends and driving deal even admitting that academically she could handle it. Now as we are in middle school I wish I had pushed for the grade skip because we are still waiting for the chance to get to the more challenging classes,high school and dual enrollment....

flower #100352 04/25/11 06:40 PM
    Originally Posted by flower
    ... I realize that my own stuff has been triggered. When my own stuff is triggered, ... I have to find a quiet way to nurture myself and then face the others. ... it seems when I have my stuff in order advocating for my kiddo is smoother with the school personnel. This board has helped me tons with getting to that place.
    I love how you put this flower. TreeCrit - bring us with you in your mind to this meeting! Draw a smile face on your hand and know it's me! One step at a time...
    Grinity

B
    B
    Treecritter, I did exactly what you did. I DL'd past state tests and gave them to DC. I also put together a portfolio and printed all sorts of info (the acceleration institute has wonderful info. you might find useful) and used the IAS which also has tons of research based info. you can use in addition to the assesment portion of the manual. Sounds like you are on the right track.

bh14 #100381 04/26/11 06:03 AM
    Originally Posted by bh14
    I DL'd past state tests
    DL'd?

M
    M
    downloaded.

Thanks Mum3 -
    Wow - nice state to post their previous years test! Nice work finding them!
    Grinity

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM