Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    My daughter had taken the MAP test since second grade. .Her scores have always been high and she has always been ahead in her class. NOw she is in sixth grade and she finds the math in her class really simple. I tell her to sit through it but I realized that she is bored in class. I've talked to the teachers and all they can say is that her test score's are to low. SHe obviously knows all the stuff that is going on in class. Her fall Map score for Math was 154. What should I do?

I
    I
    Here's a link about negative growth on the NWEA MAP. I would go over this with her and see if any of the reasons ring true with her. This part sounds the most likely:
    Some students may "cherry pick" items on the test. That is, they will correctly answer items that are easy enough to solve quickly and guess on items that would take more work. This can lead to deflated scores.
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/554/negative-growth

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Oh. Well I haven't been on this website in a while, but ill try that. It seems odd that she would get such a low score.

are you still considering homeschool?

Is your daughter putting her energy into social connections instead of academics?

What did her scores used to be like?

I would write a written letter telling the school that you suspect a learning disability because of your daughter's sudden decrease in MAP scores, and please do an evaluation. Hopefully that will produce useful information ( as in: IQ and Achievement scores are very high and she is bored out of her mind, possibly)

If that doesn't help, I would take her to a tester who can do the same and help you advocate with the school. Made sure that whoever you hire is willing to work with the school on your DD's behalf.

I would also suggest you do some journaling to go after some of the attitudes that gifted kids internalize and then turn on our children after we've grown up, specifically, complete this statement about 100 times until some tears pop out:

"Everyone knows that one is supposed to spend hours and hours in school listening to the teacher talk about stuff one already knows, and this means......."

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM