Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    innocently flipped open my dumb ol' title nine catalog this morning to look at some over-priced yoga shirts and the first thing I notice are comments from founder/owner listing out what she thinks is insane.
    #6 -- Gifted kids "how do they know?"

I mean, really. I understand that the marketing team thought this would really resonate with most of the young women who must check out this catalog, but I really thought it was pretty irresponsible to add yet another brick to the monumental pile of misinformation out there on "what is a gifted kid".
    How many of these women are already parents, or going to be parents? Most.
    I already left my comment on the site, of course, score one for them, now I am registered on their dumb ol' website.

Arg.

Like my gifted three year old would say:
    :p=pfth th<.

Ok. I need to work on a better raspberry spitting smilicon.
    Here's a glare I snagged from the scratch forum.
    &#3232;_&#3232;

Namaste.

.. //>.>\\'....

<�(>_<)�>

Well, #@!
    it worked in the preview to the post.
    Here's a screenshot of how it was 's'posed to look.
    http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/95eee4ff.jpg

Oh, foiled again. The screenshot's sideways. Drat.

Last edited by La Texican; 04/16/11 12:41 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    chapped mine too, left a comment

9. Don't mess with a gifted kids mom should be on her list now smile

Last edited by Skylersmommy; 04/16/11 02:07 PM.
    B
    B
    An essay that could annoy you even more (but maybe also draw a chuckle) is Christian Lander's Stuff White People Like #16 -- "gifted" children http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/22/17-gifted-children/ :

'White people love �gifted� children, do you know why? Because an astounding 100% of their kids are gifted! Isn�t that amazing?

I�m pretty sure the last non-gifted white child was born in 1962 in Reseda, CA. Since then, it�s been a pretty sweet run.

The way it works is that white kids that are actually smart are quickly identified as �gifted� and take special classes and eventually end up in college and then law school or med school.

But wait, aren�t there white people who aren�t doctors or lawyers, or even all that smart?

Well, here is another one of those awesome white person win-win situations.

Because if a white kid gets crappy grades and can�t seem to ever do anything right in school, they are still gifted! How you ask? They are just TOO smart for school. They are too creative, too advanced to care about the trivial minutiae of the day to day operations of school.

Eventually they will show their creativity in their elaborate constructions of bongs and intimate knowledge different kinds of mushrooms and hash.

This is important if you ever find yourself needing to gain white person acceptance. If you see their kid playing peacefully, you say �oh, he/she seems very focused, are they in a gifted program?� at which point the parent will say �yes.� Or if the kid is lighting a dog on fire while screaming at their mother, you say �my he/she is a creative one. Is he/she gifted?� To which the parent will reply �oh, yes, he�s too creative and smart for school. We just don�t know what to do.� Either situation will put a white person in a better mood and make them like you more.

But NEVER under any circumstance imply that their child is less than a genius. The idea that something could come from them and be less than greatness is too much for them to bear.'

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    S
    S
    I think the essay is a hoot.

I think it is ironic that a woman who is making her living off of "Title IX" ,the civil rights law which provided legislation so that women's sports and academics could no longer be belittled chose with her comments to belittle a different group of people.

Last edited by herenow; 04/17/11 10:57 AM.
    Well, here's hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    J
    J
    With only six words, that line could be taken in so many ways. Did anyone ask her more specifically what she meant by that line?

There are so many differing opinions on everything involving human behavior, IQ tests and anything involving the brain in general, I think it is good to question who we should believe. I could really see someone who realizes this saying it drives them insane.

I could also see someone saying Einstein's space/time stuff drives them insane, which does not necessarily mean they don't believe in it. It just might mean thinking about it can really give a person a headache.

What bothers me about this thread is the idea of making a judgement of a person and an internet site based on six words. I doubt I have made it through an entire day without saying words, which heard by the wrong person could be taken the wrong way.

Sorry for being on the other side of things, but I am really bothered by stereotypes where a person's entire character is judged based on a single characteristic, a single action, a single life style choice or anything which may represent such a small part of what makes a person who they are.

Val Offline
    Here's the full posting:
    Originally Posted by Missy Park
    Insanity
    By Missy Park � Apr 11th, 2011 � Category: Missy's Musings
    My definition of insanity�

1) Competitive team sports for kids under 10
    2) Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome
    3) Any diet with one ingredient
    4) 24-hour �news�
    5) Our tax code
    6) �Gifted� children� How do they know?
    7) Thin thighs in thirty days
    8) High heels
    What�s your definition of insanity?

It's the quotation marks around "gifted" that make me think it doesn't sound promising.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by JamieH
    With only six words, that line could be taken in so many ways. Did anyone ask her more specifically what she meant by that line?

There are so many differing opinions on everything involving human behavior, IQ tests and anything involving the brain in general, I think it is good to question who we should believe. I could really see someone who realizes this saying it drives them insane.

I could also see someone saying Einstein's space/time stuff drives them insane, which does not necessarily mean they don't believe in it. It just might mean thinking about it can really give a person a headache.

What bothers me about this thread is the idea of making a judgement of a person and an internet site based on six words. I doubt I have made it through an entire day without saying words, which heard by the wrong person could be taken the wrong way.

Sorry for being on the other side of things, but I am really bothered by stereotypes where a person's entire character is judged based on a single characteristic, a single action, a single life style choice or anything which may represent such a small part of what makes a person who they are.

No problem! I think the whole thing is really silly, of her to post, and of me to get chapped over...but I just couldn't imagine a scenario where this could mean anything other than 'gifted kids don't exist'...

oh, and I really do think this might be less her comments and more a list that the marketing team came up with...so I can't say I'm judging her personally as irresponsible, just the entire organization. wink

Last edited by chris1234; 04/17/11 03:04 AM.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM