Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #99450 04/13/11 11:47 AM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Mr W has a new morning teacher the last three weeks whom we had not talked to. We usually talk to the afternoon teacher. He is in with 4 and 5 year olds.

This woman evaluated him last week. And then gave us a copy.

Her academic eval ended at the alphabet, and counting to 10, which she indicated he had mastered.

The addition, subtraction, plus all the geometry she did not do.

She then said he was a little impatient with the other kids and was not working purposefully.

I suggested he was bored.

"No, he is not bored." was her response.

"I disagree. Why did you not eval him past the alphabet?" I asked.

"That is 4 year old and Kindergarten stuff." she said.

!!

"Looking at this list, he knows it all - except for what a scalene triangle is. He knows about 300 words by sight and can sound out many more. Reading is not even on this list and he is reading. He can even search for stuff on google."

"Most of our parents do not work with kids at home.." she said.

"And neither do we."

At this point we are thinking about our options.

Austin #99452 04/13/11 11:53 AM
    E
    E
    Sigh, I'm sorry!

Austin #99456 04/13/11 12:29 PM
    Originally Posted by Austin

"And neither do we."
    Teachers - in general - BELIEVE. The only way to convinse her that the passion is coming from your son is to sent him home with her for a few days. ((scary thought!))

So what are the options?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Austin #99457 04/13/11 12:35 PM
    Yikes! Well, he might yet win her over, I understand he is quite a charmer laugh

Our dd's teacher was kinda skeptical when we had her moved into k at age 4, but now she just laughs and tells me all about how dd is doing her math better than most of the older kids (knows what the various dot patterns mean on a die without having to count, takes time to lay out all her counting beads in interesting patterns, but still finishes really fast, etc.) So....thankfully we are doing ok (so far!)
    Hope she starts to get it for your guy, or you find some other options.

Austin #99460 04/13/11 02:47 PM
    Val Offline

When my eldest started preschool, I gave his teacher a rundown of his reading abilities. She looked at me like I was speaking Martian.

He was 4! Four is early to read, say, simple words, but not outrageously so. This would mean a few other kids in my son's class would have been past mastering the alphabet. But the message would not sink in, no matter how many times I brought it up. It was frustrating. They wouldn't even let him do SRA cards until kindergarten.

You might try asking the afternoon teacher to evaluate him at a higher level.

Sometimes teachers have a conceptual barrier around giftedness and they have to see the child pass their own tests before they believe.

We struggled for three years. We never really succeeded with math, but one teacher was good about accelerating my son's in reading and language arts. When he moved past her (2nd grade), we had the same problem. I finally convinced the 3rd grade teacher to let him do a reading/book report project that her kids were doing. He completed it in a week, in the car, as we drove to/from school. This was a three-week project in her class. Everything changed after that --- because he passed an evaluation that they had designed.

Dunno if this would work with your son's teacher(s), but I'm throwing it out as food for thought.

Good luck.

Austin #99466 04/13/11 04:20 PM
    N
    N
    "not working purposefully"

At what? Coloring letters of the alphabet and gluing sequins on them? Counting to three or five out loud with the class with unbearable slowness so that everyone can keep up? Yeah, those are riveting.

I'm glad I have never had this problem with DS8 -- from the moment he set foot in the preschool, everyone there knew exactly how much he could read because he did it out loud, constantly. He read all the forms to the director while I was filling them out. He read her everything on her desk while she was distracting him from that. He's his own best advertising -- but that probably has something to do with his Asperger's, because he just didn't have a filter to stop him from doing that. It's a mixed blessing! smile

Austin #99468 04/13/11 04:55 PM
    Have you talked to the director/owner of the school? I would hate to see you jump due to a new teacher when you have been praising the school up to this point.

Austin #99481 04/13/11 07:02 PM
    C
    C
    We were so very, very spoiled when DS was 4. He was in a private preschool and by luck, his teacher had been an elementary teacher in Hong Kong. Because she wasn't certified here, she took a preschool job. Each day when the other kids were napping, she and my DS would work on real school. They did science experiments, read books together and both really loved the experience! I think this actually tainted our perspective- we fully believed all elementary teachers would be delighted to have him in class!

Perhaps you can ask her to just try the evaluation and see where it goes? I think most teachers don't go above because they don't want to upset parents, create a hothousing situation, mess with a kid's self-esteem or whatever other excuse they have.

Austin #99601 04/15/11 05:23 PM
    Mr W has a new morning teacher the last three weeks whom we had not talked to. We usually talk to the afternoon teacher. He is in with 4 and 5 year olds.

This woman evaluated him last week. And then gave us a copy.

Her academic eval ended at the alphabet, and counting to 10, which she indicated he had mastered.

The addition, subtraction, plus all the geometry she did not do.

She then said he was a little impatient with the other kids and was not working purposefully.

I suggested he was bored.

"No, he is not bored." was her response.

!!

"Looking at this list, he knows it all - except for what a scalene triangle is. He knows about 300 words by sight and can sound out many more. Reading is not even on this list and he is reading. He can even search for stuff on google."

"And neither do we."

At this point we are thinking about our options.

Because he is with 4 & 5 year olds, he should be evaluated with at least the same evaluation used for them. If the evaluation is to see if any kids are above level, then he also needs to be evaluated for above level work.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM