Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #99531 04/14/11 01:31 PM
    A
    amom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    hi ,
    any suggestions on how to teach chess to the younger ones?

Though an engaging game ( and i am a beginner myself ) it can be challanging , so any thoughts will be appresiated
    thanks

amom #99533 04/14/11 01:58 PM
    Some recommendations:

* http://www.chesskid.com/
    * http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Chess-Fritz-Chesster/dp/B0000950SM
    * http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Childre...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1302814620&sr=1-1

For a while DS (then 6?) was hot on chess. Not as much these days. But he used those resources as well as attending a chess club occasionally.

Good luck.

JB

amom #99534 04/14/11 02:03 PM
    K
    K
    My DS6 learned to play chess on the computer. The chess program that came on our Mac lets him back up if he makes a mistake -- this limits frustration if he makes a beginner's mistake. He has older siblings who play and give him instruction how to play against the computer. The girls have taught him a lot more with this common adversary (the computer) than they ever would have if I had asked them to play against him and teach the game. My girls both learned through the chess club at our school in first grade.

amom #99535 04/14/11 02:04 PM
    M
    M
    My DC and I have enjoyed the free online resource offered in conjunction with USCF at: Chess Magnet School

B
    B
    I second the recommendation of Chess Magnet School. The pay version ($30/year) goes beyond teaching the rules, and my 5yo enjoys it.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    amom #99623 04/16/11 03:35 PM
    B
    B
    No Stress Chess is great!! I don't often make recommendations, but my son (also five) and my husband BOTH learned to play. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who has used it (check Amazon, for some reason the site is not allowing me to switch to full reply to leave you a link)

Anyway, the gist of it is at first you learn to play by choosing cards (chess pieces) the cards explain how you can move your piece and I think initially you have a choice of three cards to choose from. Eventually, you wean off the cards and just learn to play on your own (which my son is now able to do).

I don't think my explanation is doing the game any justice, it really is a great game--check it out, I think you'll really like it.

amom #99624 04/16/11 03:42 PM
    We have just got Quick Chess which has been good to help DS4 learn the basic moves. It doesn't go much further than that though. It looks like this:
    http://www.liveandlearn.com/educational/quickchess.html
    But we got it used at a flea market.

B
    B
    I second the recommendation of No Stress Chess -- when my son was 4yo he also used it to learn the rules.

ChessMaster is reasonably-priced chess-playing and teaching software. ICC Dasher http://www.chessclub.com/helpcenter/interface/Dasher.html is software used to connect to the subscription-based Internet Chess Club, but it comes with a free chess engine that plays at various levels and can be used without an internet connection.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    amom #99630 04/16/11 06:00 PM
    L
    laurel
    Unregistered
    laurel
    Unregistered
    L
    It's fun to hear all the different ways people have introduced chess at home!

I wanted to start playing chess with my 5 yo son, so I started playing chess with my husband in front of our son.

We played speed chess (since speed chess doesn't allow you much time between moves, this is less boring for a beginner to watch).

My son started sitting on his dad's lap, then after a few games his dad would whisper, "Ah, let's move our queen here and get her bishop--ha ha!" and point how my son could move the piece.

After a while, my son started making suggestions, then taking initiative. We counted the time loudly when someone took too long to move, and did dances when we had a good move. We played every morning and had fun as a family.

After a while, our son made up his own versions of chess, and we played by his rules. It turns out there are lots of variations of chess, so it's fun if both parent and child are learning strategy at the same time--some include setting up the board differently, giving pieces different powers, using checkers as well as chess pieces--guess there are whole articles written about the variations, so we have found these fun, e.g. Chess960, see overview of options at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_variant). I think it's great to play with chess and experiment!

Now our son plays orthodox chess (beat his dad this afternoon) but also has fun experimenting. I was a miserable chess player at first (had only played a few times), so this was a fun way for me to learn as well (and speed chess helped even the playing field with my husband)!

Hope you guys have fun whatever way works best for you!

#99631 04/16/11 06:38 PM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by laurel
    It's fun to hear all the different ways people have introduced chess at home!

I wanted to start playing chess with my 5 yo son, so I started playing chess with my husband in front of our son.

We played speed chess (since speed chess doesn't allow you much time between moves, this is less boring for a beginner to watch).

I would not stress this form of chess to children, because they generally move much too fast to begin with. You can go a long way in chess if you simply

(1) capture pieces your opponent leaves hanging
    (2) not hang your own pieces

To do these things, kids need to SLOW DOWN and SCAN THE ENTIRE BOARD before EVERY MOVE. Sorry for shouting with all caps, but
    watching my children play at the local club has accelerated my hair loss. But we have fun, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM