Good job on calling the school. I know it's hard to contemplate another skip, but you are really putting the school (not to mention your DD) at an unfair disadvantage if you don't get the skip in the works before school starts. I now because I've learned the hard way in almost identical circumstances. I bought the 'well it's a private school so it'll be like getting a full gradeskip anyway, and the kids will be brighter' argument in my head - you should have seen the way they glared at me when one month in I had to ask for a skip. As if I had sold them a pig in a poke. And they were right. I had just already been to 2 other schools and was sick of the whole 'I'm going to tell you but you won't believe me' song and dance. And I desperately wished that reality wasn't true.

Did you already sign the contract? That matters how you handle it.

But put yourself in your DD's shoes. Wouldn't you rather walk into school on the first day knowing that you in the classroom that you were going to spend the bulk of your time in - even if it was 7th grade -instead of going through all the drama of a midyear skip at a new school? or instead of spending yet another year in a classroom where everything is dull.

Originally Posted by mnmom23
Now my only question is, is it okay to pass it off to my daughter as "the school likes to assess the math abilities of all new students before the beginning of the year?"
Nope! You don't have to make a big deal out of it, but it isn't ok to mislead in this case. Try: "I'm pretty sure you need to be in 7th grade math next year, and maybe 7th grade everything, so you'll be doing the math placement test they give the incoming 7th graders."

And if she give you song and dance about wanting to 'be normal' then suggest that she do the whole grade in 7th so she fits in better. Or sympathise and say: 'Don't we all, but we get what we get and we don't get upset, right?'

Call back and get the exact date of the Math testing, and tell them that you would like her evaluated for a full skip (never hurts to have options, right?) into 7th in case that is the best way to resolve the Math problem.

((gutteral utterance that communicates - get your toes back into the fire, time to get uncomfortable and wrap your mind around this new wrinkle!))

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com