Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/the-case-for-having-more-kids/
    April 7, 2011, 9:00 am
    The Case for Having More Kids
    By DAVID LEONHARDT

Bryan Caplan, an economist at George Mason, is the author of �Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids,� which will be released this week. Mr. Caplan doesn�t believe everyone should have a lot of children. But he does say many parents and future parents should consider having more children than they are currently planning.

Mr. Caplan: The central idea of twin and adoption research is that disentangling nature from nurture is hard. Our intuition isn�t very helpful. Yes, kids of college-educated parents know more words. But why? Maybe their upbringing is the reason, as you suggest. But babies from college-educated families might excel even if raised by high school dropouts, by learning a higher fraction of the words they hear, or spending more time reading.

So what does the twin and adoption data say? Language fits a standard pattern. Consistent with your skepticism, upbringing has a noticeable effect on the vocabulary of young children. But as children mature, this effect largely fades away. The Colorado Adoption Project found, for example, that 2-year-olds adopted by high-vocabulary parents had noticeably larger vocabularies. But as the kids grew up, their vocabulary scores looked more and more like their biological parents�. By age 12, the effect of enriched upbringing on vocabulary was barely visible.

Admittedly, there�s a sense in which upbringing is all-important: If a baby is raised by wolves, he won�t know any words. (There�s also a sense in which genes are all-important: If you had wolf DNA, you wouldn�t know any words either.) But twin and adoption research focuses on questions that are much more relevant for parents: how your child will turn out if you switch to another parenting style.

<rest of article at link>

Since, as Caplan explains, intelligence is highly heritable, it is especially important for smart people to have lots of children.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    C
    C
    Forgive me if I decline to take anything seriously by someone who says that raising kids can and should be easy and that you should make it easier on yourself by Ferberising them and using timeouts! Sheesh.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    N
    N
    Am I the only one here who doesn't think that highly intelligent people are more important than anyone else?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by no5no5
    Am I the only one here who doesn't think that highly intelligent people are more important than anyone else?
    I certainly am not convinced that increasing the number of highly intelligent people at the cost of also increasing the number of people who think it's fine to prioritise an adult's wishes over the needs of a tiny baby is an improvement! (Do I think that *other things being equal* being more intelligent is a good thing, though? Yes.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    While I don't agree with the point of view of the writer (or the OP's statement about smart people having more kids for that matter), I do appreciate the opportunity to read articles I probably wouldn't otherwise have sought out on my own. I find it valuable to have the time to process what's in the article and settle on my own position and arguments for/against it. As a result, I am sometimes better-equipped to argue in real life when a similar topic comes up.

So, for my two cents worth, I say post away, Bostonian. Just don't mind us if we disagree with you.

One might think it would be the smart people who realize that putting more time and resources into a smaller number of children would guarantee better reproductive 'success'.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Val Offline
    My knowledge about Mr. Caplan's ideas is limited to what I read in the linked article and a few other things he's written in his blog. Even so, from what I read, there seem to be a lot of misinterpretations in this thread. I'm not used to seeing this kind of thing here. frown For example, I didn't read anything in the linked article stating or implying that "smart people are more important than anyone else."

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Forgive me if I decline to take anything seriously by someone who says that raising kids can and should be easy and that you should make it easier on yourself by Ferberising them and using timeouts! Sheesh.

I didn't get the impression that he believes that raising kids should be easy. What I inferred was that there are healthy ways to make things go better for parents and kids:

Originally Posted by Caplan
    ...parents need a little more tranquility and time for themselves. That�s why the evidence from twin and adoption research is such good news for parents: Parents can make their lives better today without making their kids� lives worse tomorrow.

...kids� main complaint about their parents wasn�t lack of face time, but what I call �secondhand stress� � the fact that their parents were often tired and short-tempered. The upshot: One of the best ways to be a better parent is to give yourself a break....makes it easier for you to treat your kids well.

This advice sounds perfectly reasonable to me. A break is a basic need.

Instead of fruitlessly playing Pygmalion, focus on enjoying your journey together. Raise your kids with kindness and respect. Find common interests. Use discipline not to teach lifelong lessons, but to persuade your kids to treat you and others decently here and now. If you use these strategies, parenting and bigger families really are a lot of fun.

You can berate me all you want for agreeing with him here, but I think he's spot-on. BTW, "fun" and "easy" are not the same things.

As for the concept of smart people should have more kids, which seems to have originated here and not in that article, I can't see what's wrong with this idea. What's so bad about having more smart people on the planet?

Val

Last edited by Val; 04/07/11 10:09 AM. Reason: Clarity
    J
    J
    I definitely agree with the included snippet in the article. My observations tell me that nurture can produce advanced skills early in life in almost any child, but nature limits just how advanced these skills will be in later life.

Growing up as the oldest in a large family is definitely fun and interesting, sometimes a little more interesting than you want it to be.

My values and feelings definitely don't like the idea of trying to purposely build a smarter population. However, I also have a practical view on this and am hoping we are heading towards being a smarter population.

Interestingly enough, the average brain volume in humans peaked 10,000 years ago and has been on a steady decline ever since. As John Hawks has said in this video, on his good days he likes to think the brain is becoming more efficient.

I personally feel our improved abilities to educate the next generation has removed the need for certain valuable abilities provided by the once larger average brain. At least on my bad days, but I go with John Hawks on my good days.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JamieH
    My values and feelings definitely don't like the idea of trying to purposely build a smarter population.

I wasn't advocating creating some kind of eugenics program aimed at raising IQs. I was only saying "What's so bad about smart people having more kids and increasing the number of smart people out there?" smile

Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    One might think it would be the smart people who realize that putting more time and resources into a smaller number of children would guarantee better reproductive 'success'.

That is what I wonder, as well. Most of the small-family parents that we know chose to do things that way because they calculated the costs of college, private school tuition, etc. etc. and found that it just didn't make sense to spread those resources more thinly among more siblings.

Of course, then there are those of us that consider ourselves fortunate to have had even the one child.

In general, I'm not sure that contributing to a rise in global population is necessarily a good thing no matter how intelligent those children might be. whistle Maybe that's just me.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM