Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 33 of 35 1 2 31 32 33 34 35
    S
    S
    Yes, that's what I mean--you didn't include samples of work along with the application, the full test report, and the nominator's contribution, and you were accepted.

ETA: That was directed at LMB123.

Last edited by Skepchick; 06/07/16 02:07 PM.
    S
    S
    Ah, Portia. That sounds like that's where I list stuff such as how DS was able to identify all the cards in a set of Presidential flash cards at 26 months old, that sort of thing. Yes?

ETA: My kid is five, so infant and toddler achievements are things I have to consider here.

Last edited by Skepchick; 06/08/16 11:53 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Skepchick
    What do they mean by "surprising depth"? What's a good example of "surprising depth"?

My DD12 is older than your situation, but here's what came to my mind when reading this question:

1 - For her 6th grade gifted glass, the students were supposed to complete a project and present on it. Some kids did science experiments, some wrote a story, etc. She decided that, since she had played classical and blues music on piano, that she wanted to study jazz. She learned the history, learned about polyrhythms, syncopation, etc., and recruited the instructors at her music school to join in recording a piece she wrote herself.

2 - For her 5th grade science fair, she remembered her mom (with a Chemistry degree) describing chromatography. Rather than creating a poster describing it, she insisted that we buy a paper chromatography kit and analyzed the dyes used in M&M candies, after researching the techniques and science. (One judge, a local college Professor, wrote on the judging form "this kid should) be in college")

C
    C
    Unfortunately my sons surprizing depth is video games and you tube videos as well as you tube videos about video games with Pixar movies....and super hero movies on the side.

N
    N
    Ha! My son's is Pokemon....

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    Unfortunately my sons surprizing depth is video games and you tube videos as well as you tube videos about video games with Pixar movies....and super hero movies on the side.

I think my DD12 could win a MacArthur Grant if it was on YouTube videos. With a specialty on YouTube videos watching someone else play Minecraft...

A
    A
    These questions were tough for me to answer, too.

LAF Offline
    my DD9's used to be making no-sew dresses, now it's DIY beauty products Youtube style… she made me a vanilla and peppermint sugar scrub for Christmas smile

P
    P
    What if you can't think of any examples of 'surprising depth'? I'm applying for two kids, DD10 immediately and DS12 when his new scores are available (old ones way too old). For DS12 the question is so-o easily answered (with the minecraft/youtube type answer too LOL). But for DD... she's interested in tons of things, but doesn't dig way in like her brother does. Advice?

G
    G
    Well, I received a very nice email today - DD11 is a newly minted DYS!! I wanted to cry but was in the midst of car pooling 3 kids...

So many thoughts have been floating through my head.

I remember when she was a bitty thing, and Early Intervention stated she was incredibly developmentally delayed and probably intellectually disabled (ok, trying not to cry now).

Her fourth grade teacher said DD needed a psychiatrist instead of challenging work. She argued against the grade skip (luckily the school district ignored her!).

Wanting to wave the information in front of the middle school AG teacher who shut down a parent teacher meeting about DD by telling the teachers "Oh, we have lots of kids who are smart in our school" when my DH and I tried to explain that DD needed challenging work in science and social studies (her favorites).

So many other feelings and thoughts - too many to list. I know that DH and I are just amazed at her transformation.

I want to thank everyone here for all the information and support since we started this journey!!

PS - I just double checked the email to see if I mis-read it. Nope, she is in!

Last edited by greenlotus; 03/23/17 08:35 PM. Reason: poorly written sentence
    Page 33 of 35 1 2 31 32 33 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM