Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #986 08/03/06 11:10 PM
    R
    rachael Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Just wondering if anyone out there can help me??? My four month old son began talking at six weeks old. Noone believes me except my husband who has also heard him, and my mother. He is fascinated by words and the alphabet. He hardly sleeps and I'm exhausted! Does anyone have suggestions for activities for a gifted four month old? Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

#987 08/04/06 08:45 AM
    W
    W
    Wow! Mine started at 7 months and I thought that was horribly advanced. I'm sure he must be so frustrated in his tiny incapable body if it is housing an intellect like that. Do you have anyone who can share the work with you? It sounds like he is going to need constant attention/interaction for a long time. My son at 7 months was just a live wire and only slept about 5-7 hours a day, never in a clump just bits and pieces of rapid sleeps. It took him years to learn good sleep habits.

Also, get good quality cd's like Bach and Beethoven and the like and let him listen to those. My younger son (started singing at 8.5 months) found classical music very soothing and would listen quietly when I slept. I also found my older son to get hyperstimulated visually, but auditory input was less intense for him.

Then make sure he's getting time on his belly even if he hates it. Those arm and shoulder and upper chest proprioceptors need the input. Apparently kids are more restless these days because of time spent on their back. They don't have a good sense of themselves in space and it overwhelms them. So lots of belly time even if he hates it at first.

and and and well these are just ideas. It's hard to know just what to suggest but those things helped my boys.

Willa Gayle
    #988 08/04/06 10:30 AM
    R
    rachael Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you Willa. I probably need to learn to let him go to other people more often - for my own sanity, but also for him.

Yes, he seems frustrated when he can't do things. He tries for days when he can't say a particular sound and will be awake in the middle of the night trying to say it!

The advice about tummy time is great - yes, he hates it and his arms are so skinny compared to the rest of him! Any ideas for making tummy time more enjoyable? I find it really hard to leave him there while he is crying.

There is one classical CD I play to him but maybe I should try some others too.

Thanks again...
    Rachael Steele

#989 08/04/06 11:07 PM
    R
    R
    Rachael,

I'd also get him CDs with lullabys in various languages since it seems he will have a propensity for languages. Hearing new sounds will probably be very stimulating. I can't remember the one I bought for my nephew but I got it by doing a search on Amazon.

All the best,

Susan

#990 08/05/06 07:21 PM
    R
    rachael Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    That's a great idea Susan. Will look into it! We bought him the Baby Einstein Languages DVD which he liked for a while.
    Let me know if you remember the name of the CD.

#991 08/10/06 01:41 AM
    I second the "tummy time" idea - i couldn't hack the crying and lived to regret it. If I lived near you I'd come over and we'd get down on out bellies and look at baby on his belly and say: "I know you don't like this, and your are working really hard, but it will be worth it." In a calm, confident voice over and over and over. Lots of kids "do much better" after a struggle and cry, so look out for that possibility. Perhaps an pediatric OT who is versed in Sensory intergration could guide you? (sometimes covered by insurance) or at least read the "out of sync child has fun" for ideas.

I wouldn't look for distractions, rather I'd set a timer for 1 minute 5 times a day, and increase gradually. yes - he may hate the timer, but it is so worth it! Especially IMHO for boys.

OT - my son really liked a leap frog toy called the phonics bus.

smiles - Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #992 08/10/06 10:37 AM
    R
    rachael Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you - I have persisted with 'tummy time' this week and he is not protesting so much. Why did you live 'to regret it'? What are the possible consequences of not enought tummy time?
    Sorry, but what is 'IMHO'?
    Yes, I have looked at the leap frog products and wondered whether they are any good. For what age would it be suitable?
    I assume your child/ren were gifted in this way also?
    smile Rachael

#993 08/11/06 12:12 AM
    IMHO is in my humble opinion - a good discription for this mom's perspective on the following:

Lack of tummy time in our house "didn't encourage" gross motor development. Later at age 7, the teachers were having meeting after meeting with us because he couldn't or wouldn't sit comfortably in his chair, and was like a floppy worm in circle time. 6 months of Occupational therapy privatly and through the school was like opening a door into a whole new world for him. He's still hoovering at average for age, but having so much more fun - learned to ride his bike at age 9! If he had gotten help when he was younger, I think it would have been even better, cause by age 7 he was less likely to see it as fun, and more as remediation.

There is a theory that gifted children have "extra sensitive" nervous systems in general. The same behavior (cranky at loud noises, tags on the backs of clothing, big smells, bright lights, etc. see book: Out-of-Sync child) is viewed by OTs as Sensory Integration Disorder, which they can treat. I thought that being picky about socks and tags was normal, since in my family, those behaviors are very common. What a pleasure that someone can help!

Would more tummy time have helped there? Don't know, but I think so. Or at least the same thing that caused him to hate tummy time would have been detected earlier. This seems to be what happened to my nephew who wasn't rolling over at 6 month.

Do I think it's a disorder or normal side effect of giftedness? - I don't care. I'm just thrilled that on a vacation DS10 recently slept on a bed that he described as "like sleeping on 100 tags!" but he was able to do it. Go DS10!

Smiles - Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #994 08/11/06 09:26 AM
    W
    W
    I attribute a lot of Mite's motor issues to lack of tummy time, too. That was also the year those saucer seats came out and Mite LOVED his. I'd pull it from room to room and plunk him in it a lot. I wish I had it now because I would blow it up for the damage it did to my kid. AND AND AND sleeping on his back! I think kids hate tummy time and have a lot of delayed proprioceptor development because of sleeping on their backs. I know we are avoiding SIDS, but I think it's not the way the body is meant to be.

We have a lot of the same sensory issues and the dyspraxia (basically the body has no clue what to do with itself).

ok. off my soapbox.

Willa Gayle
    #995 08/13/06 11:58 AM
    R
    rachael Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you both.
    He has been sleeping better since he has had more tummy time and not protesting at all now - actuallly seems to enjoy it - for a while at least.
    I can't really tell if he is sensitive about tags etc but I was - my mother used to say whenever I complained, "like the princess and the pea", making me feel like I was just being fussy and that I was just acting like a spoilt 'princess'!
    Your advice is greatly appreciated.
    Any other suggestions welcome!
    Willa, can you explain dyspraxia to me? I had a student in one of my classes who had dyspraxia but noone could really explain to me what it was or how to help such a student.
    Trinity, how do OTs treat Sensory Integration Disorder?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM