Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    #996 08/13/06 10:48 PM
    W
    W
    basically, nutshelled...and totally condensed

dyspraxia is neuromotor dysfunctioning, a executive function disorder.

The brain is unable to receive, process and output motor information. Motor skills that usually become automatic, never develop that automacity.

I think the best way to describe it is to tell you some of the difficulties I have as an adult with dyspraxia.

I have difficulty with balance and coordination to the degree that going down a large set of stairs is VERY difficult. I get vertigo and must hold on to something...preferrably both the rail and a human being. I have difficulty with space and orientation. I still cannot write well...get severe cramps in my hands if I have to write more than a sentence or two. If someone bumps me I stumble severely and even fall...being in crowds is impossible.

For my son, he cannot write with automacity. He is very uncoordinated and clumsy. He had great difficulty learning to ride a bike, climb steps, potty train, throw a ball, run, climb play structures, organize objects (comes across as ditsy:^).

For some people, like myself, the problems can become severe.

Because we know about this stuff now, kids can have the effects reduced by occupational therapy, but tummy time is the start. Very intelligent, highly gifted kids are very susceptible to dyspraxia due to asynchronous development.

You, with your extremely bright tiny guy, could do yourself HUGE favors by learning about the following terms now....I wish I had known about them when my oldest boy showed the signs your little guy is showing....

asynchronous development
    twice exceptional
    dual exceptional
    working memory
    personal memory
    impersonal memory (your baby shows signs of these two being interconnected, actually)

Even though it will be hard to make the connections now, if you have an idea of what is to come, you will be able to intervene before things become issues.

Read these two books now, imo....Misdiagnosis of the Gifted

and The Mislabeled Child

both are excellent but it you have to chose then go for Mislabeled Child by the Drs Eide.

also check out their forum www.mislabeledchild.com

be blessed...your baby has a good and on top of it mommy!!

Willa Gayle
    #997 08/13/06 10:56 PM
    W
    W
    oh and...you can start doing sensory integration stuff NOW...

gentle massage
    light brushing with one of those baby brushes on his arms, hands and lower legs (NOT face or torso or feet)
    swaddling (he may hate it but its essential)
    heavy rubbing of torso and back
    lots of skin to skin contact -- nakey mommy naky baby chest to chest

use a baby "bundler" for this...this type of baby carrier is very natural....its a bit complicated to use the first couple of times but once you get the hang of it, its fantastic, like wearing a baby shirt.

I think it is www.babybundler.com

the classical music...talk to your baby while it is going on so he learns auditory discrimination...sometimes...sometimes just let him listen to it.....

tapes with stories...yes ever at this age....good calm literature being read by a calm, preferably male (I don't know why) voice...like Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, LIttle Women.
    Find ones with accents too....British ones. Have a male in your family read some favorites...about an hours worth onto a tape, too.

read The Mislabeled Child I mentioned in the last post!!! :^)

Willa Gayle
    #998 08/14/06 04:43 AM
    M
    M
    We didn't pay enough attention to tummy time and gross motor skills either.... Wish we had.

What about giving him a boardbook (one for older kids that has a real storyline and maybe photographs) to look at during tummy time?

We also took digital photos and laminated them to board and made our own book for the kids to look at.

Mary

Mary
    #999 08/15/06 02:20 AM
    I was/am a Princess Pea-type also. So were many of my family members. I though having to cut tags out of shirts was normal. The Out of Synch Child explains how OT's deal with SID for the public. I'm guessing there are also websites. Jean Ayers was the OT who gave birth to this whole area.

Best Wishes'
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #1000 08/15/06 02:26 AM
    I sure don't mean to scare you or be a wet blanket, these problems can range from nonexistant to mild to severe. I just want to give you a heads up that these unusual kids miss alot while they develop in ways that are natural for them. You've taken some great steps -

1 - you asked, and found a place to ask
    2 - you did the tummy time and now he likes it! Yeah!
    3 - you took the first step in having an independent perspective from both you child and your "feelings" and it's working great. Part of parenting is following a child's lead AND leading the child when needed. It's a really beautiful and difficult balance - well done!

Trinity

#1001 08/15/06 03:31 AM
    W
    W
    Hear! Hear! Trinity

Rachael--
    You are in an EXCELLENT spot! You KNOW already that your child is going to be a great promise and you have already started establishing the support network to help you parent him.

He's going to do well with an on top of it Momma like you!

Willa Gayle
    #1002 08/18/06 05:54 AM
    Wanted to wish everyone a good weekend - Smiles
    Trinity

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM