Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    My 3rd grader is upset because her DIBELS scores are lower than some of her classmates. The emphasis the school/state puts on reading speed frustrates me because comprehension is so much more important. I tried to explain to DD that she reads 6th grade level books (and sometimes higher) and that's what's more important.

With all of this emphasis on speed, DD's teacher is still accusing DD of trying to finish her work first. She even told me in an email last week that DD's primary focus is finishing first. DD makes great grades and doesn't make careless mistakes, so what's the issue?

First, they emphasize speed with DIBELS. Then they want her to slow down with her work? Does this make sense at all? Has anyone else encountered such nonsense? I think it's time for a conference. DH will be out of town until mid-March, so I may be doing this alone. UGH!

BTW, DH and I crafted a letter to the school outlining the reasons we need to have DD tested. We have asked for them to test or for them to recommend someone for us to use privately. We figure, if they recommend someone, then they can't complain about the results. We're waiting for an answer.

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
    Has anyone else encountered such nonsense?

Not that particular nonsense grin !

What's wrong with finishing work as quickly as possible? I suppose if she worked slowly they would want her to speed up crazy

Repeat after me: everyone must finish at the same time. Everyone must finish at the same time...

Why? Because it's more convenient.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Why? Because it's more convenient.
    That's the conclusion DH and I have reached. We think Mrs. L is just annoyed that DD finishes fast. She doesn't know what to do with her.

And to top it all off, Mrs. L has given DD some more challenging math problems to try. However, DD says she's not allowed to take them home to work on them. Is it because I'm a math teacher, and they're afraid I'll actually TEACH her something? It doesn't make sense at all.

<pulling hair out and rocking silently in the corner>

Kriston
    Kriston, honey, it's ok!

Last edited by Cathy A; 02/26/08 09:25 PM.
    wink

Kriston
    Well, what's happening to pinkpanther's DD is not "ok" but you know what I mean...

That's just what I feel like we all should do when faced by this sort of insanity.

I feel for you, panther!

What are you going to do?

Kriston
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I don't know. It's such a mess, and DD is SO frustrated and unhappy. As far as the testing issue goes, I'm going to give the school until the end of the week to respond. Then I'm going to dig deeper. As for Mrs. L, I'm not so sure. I've tried emailing, but it doesn't seem to be working very well. She even told DD last week that we'd conversed via email about the math (which really made me mad). I may have to chat face to face.

Right now I just feel like finding that corner...

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
    they're afraid I'll actually TEACH her something? It doesn't make sense at all.

Oh, but it does make sense. You see, if you teach her some math she'll finish even faster.

You are assuming that the purpose of school is to instruct the children in certain academic subjects. That is simply not the case! Why, only just this morning I was told by DS' principal that her main concern regarding his gradeskip is how he will handle recess with the first graders. She will not commit to a skip until she has observed him at recess. She declared herself to be unconcerned about his ability to handle the academics of first grade.

Then, too, his Kindergarten teacher expressed her concern that DS has not "mastered" coloring inside the lines. She is sure he can do first grade work, but the coloring issue makes her strongly hesitate when it comes to acceleration.

I went home, my mind still boggling...you see, like you I thought that learning the curriculum was the point of education. If everyone agreed that first grade was an appropriate academic placement then DS should be placed there and any coloring and recess issues could be dealt with as needed.

I am now awaiting the results of DS' recess assessment... I sure hope he passed muster with the principal. I observed him (unseen) myself and saw him run over to the playset with a little girl and later run over to the hula hoops and start hula hooping with another girl. I hope it's ok that he plays with girls...

Cathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM