Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    yannam #98363 03/31/11 11:47 AM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by yannam
    i know it may sound ignorant, what is this reading at 3.4 or 4.9 etc, in my DD school they use guided reading levels (listed as A-Z)
    Can somebody educate me to correlate numbers with alphabets

thanks

A rating of "3.4" means that the book is at a level of the 4th month of 3rd grade. The rating systems (eg Renaissance Learning and its AR Bookfinder) supposedly reflect what grades a book is suited to. They seem to assign their ratings by scanning the books, calculating mean sentence length, word length, syllables per word, and so on. You probably get the idea.

I'm dubious about these systems for a lot of reasons. Renaissance Learning calls itself a company providing "advanced technology for data-driven schools." But literature isn't data-driven or the product of "advanced technology;" it's creative and the product of an author's vision (industrial chapter books excepted, but I suppose they aren't literature). I don't like the idea of reducing literary works like Old Yeller or Huckleberry Finn to data-driven numbers for inclusion on a checklist of numerically-appropriate books to be consumed during 30 minutes of Sustained Silent Reading.

Okay, color me cynical.

That said, the system seems to work very well with those industrial chapter books I mentioned (e.g. the Daisy Meadows fairy stories). These books are probably written by committee according to a formula. There are a lot of books like that out there. In that respect, the labels can help as a rough guide to whether or not a book is at a child's reading level (though reading the first two or three pages is probably just as effective).

My son read Dune for school last year (6th grade), and AR and Lexile Levels both gave it a rating somewhere around a fifth-grade reading level. Anyone who's read Dune knows it wasn't written for fifth-graders. This kind of mismatch seems to happen more often with real books than with the industrial ones.

HTH

Val

Last edited by Val; 03/31/11 12:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Val #98366 03/31/11 12:28 PM
    Originally Posted by Val
    My son read Dune for school last year (6th grade), and AR and Lexile Levels both gave it a rating somewhere around a fifth-grade reading level. Anyone who's read Dune knows it wasn't written for fifth-graders. This kind of mismatch seems to happen more often with real books than with the industrial ones.
    Val
    Val, I'm jealous! My DS only got about a third into Dune and then lost interest shocked

But at least I can report that scholoastic's website's 'book wizard'

http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tb...matchallpartial&Ne=1314&Ntt=Dune

Dune
    Grade Interest Level:9 - 12
    Grade Level Equivalent:7.7
    Scholastic Reading Counts! Quiz
    Accelerated Reader Quiz

At Lexile's website I see Dune as 800L, but Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone at 880L - which I don't get at all!

I also found this interesting
    8.Why is comprehension set at 75% with the Lexile Framework?
    A primary use of Lexile measures is for forecasting how well readers will comprehend texts. A reader with a measure of 600L who is given a text measured at 600L is expected to have a 75% comprehension rate. This is the �default� setting within the Lexile Framework. This value was selected to ensure that when a text's measure matches a reader's measure, the reading experience is not so hard that the reader experiences frustration and loses the meaning-thread of the text, but is not so easy that the reader does not encounter any new vocabulary or sentence structures that help grow him or her as a reader.

So if your child read and understood 100% of a book, then they aren't judged to be at that Lexile level, if that makes sense...
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #98373 03/31/11 01:45 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Val, I'm jealous! My DS only got about a third into Dune and then lost interest shocked

Dune is hard! My son only got through it because it was for a class. I had to help him at first.

yannam #98381 03/31/11 02:57 PM
    A
    A
    Yannam,

These are grade-level equivalents. 3.4 would be third grade, fourth month. 4.9 would be fourth grade, ninth month.

Hope that helps.

aculady #98400 03/31/11 08:23 PM
    Y
    Y
    I understood about number part, I know little bit about alphabets part too, but many forgot to answer about existence of any correlation tables, say if my dd is p level according to guided reading level, what is that means in numbers?

Drea4545 #98421 04/01/11 08:20 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    yannam - go to Scholastic's website. You can see that a "p" is somewhere in 3rd grade level. My daughter's school uses those letter levels for report cards, except that they only provide testing for a range that is 2 grades above. So, the teacher just marks the highest level attained and then makes a note "student is beyond level Q" for example.

Does that help?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM