Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 185 of 268 1 2 183 184 185 186 187 267 268
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    From my dd's language arts teacher, particularly awesome because she wants to be an author:
    " In all honesty, M. is one of my all-time favorite students in 21 years of teaching. She is truly a gifted writer. I see her “going far” with whatever she decides to do with her life. On that note, I would be happy to talk with her about the International Spanish Academy; she would greatly enjoy this challenge, I think, and be extremely good at it with her love of language and her work ethic."
    So glad to have a safe place to brag. Very proud of my dd!

What a wonderful validation of your dd's art and talent. I can tell you, as an adult writer, these are the life-changing moments in a child's life. I'll never forget the faith my 5th grade LA teacher had in me and my writing.

O
    O
    Our eldest DS just finished his first year of college. That in and of itself isn't a brag. Anyone who has had a GT child who breezed through HS knows that the real challenge comes when they hit college and that challenge isn't even to their intellect, it's about everything else involved.

DS carried aprox. 36 college credits from HS to college, which meant he's pretty much fulfilled all of his liberal arts requirements and a half dozen credit hours for his Physics Major as well. Needless to say, there was no period to ease into college, first semester consisted of Calc II, Physics I for Engineers, Chem. I, and a Presidential Honors course. WHAM! Axe between the eyes! In addition of course was becoming accustomed to living with someone new, eating habit changes, time management, focus when there are so many distractions, new people, new bed, etc. etc.

Well, the first semester was indeed a challenge, somewhat from the rigor but mostly because of everything else. The requirements for the his Physics Scholarship and in particular Presidential Scholarship that he was blessed with are pretty demanding for GPA.

My DS and I sat down over lunch during his winter break after the first semester. He was pretty discouraged and disappointed, questioning his ability to meet his own expectations in college. From his years in club soccer he learned after each practice or game to analyse his performance taking the emotion out of it. I had him write down everything he thought he did right and everything he thought he'd done wrong during the first semester. We talked about elimination of distractions (texting, social media, gaming, etc.) how to deal with a roomy that is less than cooperative, dealing with professors and their vastly different styles of teaching, and a host of other issues. I asked my son to keep that list of what he did right and what he did wrong and look at it every day.

This last semester was a completely different story. Going into finals week he practically had to fail any final he had not to get the desired grades he was after. He disciplined himself, managed his time well, got away from distractions, was a leader in group projects, didn't procrastinate, and even found time to train at the gym 5 times a week. I'm exceedingly proud of the life skills he's applied this semester which have secured him continuation of both his Physics and Presidential Scholarships for next year!

Last edited by Old Dad; 05/09/13 10:44 AM.
    E
    E
    Congratulations, Old Dad! It speaks volumes about you and your relationship with your son that you were able to help him dispassionately attack his problems and succeed so well.

A
    A
    That's wonderful, deacongirl. Will you be sharing the feedback with your daughter? (I think you should!)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Old Dad, I love your common sense approach. Your son's hard work paid off and he deserves the rewards of his excellent work!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    O
    O
    The most rewarding thing about the experience was seeing how proud and confident he was in himself after this semester. As a parent, there isn't anything better than seeing your child struggle, then overcome it because of their own discipline, persistence, and determination, that's what really builds self confidence.

Last edited by Old Dad; 05/09/13 10:58 AM.
    OD - you are definitely doing something right!

Become what you are
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    That's wonderful, deacongirl. Will you be sharing the feedback with your daughter? (I think you should!)

Yes, I do plan on sharing it with her. Nip any imposter syndrome in the bud early! She has already said that next summer she would prioritize a Duke TIP creative writing summer camp over anything else, so I think the encouragement from a teacher she respects would be a positive thing!

M
    M
    Deacongirl and old dad - both such wonderful stories. Thanks for sharing.

D
    D
    OD--I agree--I love the way you approached it and helped your son help himself. I could have benefitted from similar guidance in college.

Page 185 of 268 1 2 183 184 185 186 187 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM