Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 106 of 268 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 267 268

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    T
    T
    DS5 was watching the original Willy Wonka movie the other afternoon and when I walked in the room, he said, "Mommy, I figured out Charlie's percent. It's one fifth percent."

For those of you who haven't seen the movie recently, there's a scene where Charlie's math teacher is teaching the class about calculating percentages, using the number of Wonka bars the students bought out of 1000 bars total. I think one kid had bought 100, one had bought 300, etc. Charlie said he'd only bought 2. His teacher said that wasn't enough to calculate, so he made Charlie change his number to 200 to do the calculation.

I asked him to explain how he did it and he said, "Well, 100 is 10%, 10 is 1% and 2 is 1/5 of 10, so he had 1/5%. And 2000 would be 200%" smile

I'm pretty sure they haven't covered percentages at school yet, so he must have learned it from the teacher in the movie. Gotta love those educational programs. wink

Originally Posted by flower
    My dd13 asked to have a "family meeting" to discuss rules and chores. She showed up to the meeting with three different power point presentations that she downloaded onto a variety of "computer" like things so we could all follow along. She had research on the various topics such as make-up. etc. She led a two hour meeting on what her chores should be, what her freedom should be in regards to make-up, clothes and shoes, and what the consequences should be for not following through etc. I have to admit it was one of the most pleasurably Sunday afternoons in quite awhile.

Wow! She sounds like a kid with a very good head on her shoulders. I love hearing stories about teens like that! smile So did she end up getting what she wanted?

Originally Posted by PMc
    Ds 2.5 went through a Solar System obsession around 18 months, learned the planets in order, the phases of the moon and much more. Last week the theme unit in his science class was space and he was thrilled.
    On his weekly report his teacher wrote; we have enjoyed hearing
    DS's knowledge of the Solar System ,it is quiet extensive.
    Also he gets extra credit for theme related attire.

Oh, what was his attire? We also had a phases of the moon obsession awhile back. We used to have to make them out of playdough all the time. grin Now in our new apt we can't see the moon at night and we have a very grumpy toddler because of it!

Originally Posted by PMc
    Ds always insists on dressing the part for whatever he is obsessed with so he has a collection of space related Clothing.
    The first day of the unit he chose a shirt with the space shuttle
    on it, day number two he wore a shirt with a picture of the earth
    wearing sunglasses, and the next two days he wore shirts with
    different depictions of the solar system.

That's really cute! DD would love those types of outfits but I've never found many cool planets/sun/moon for girls. She did have a pair of shoes with the planets on them but they're too small now and she had a water bottle with planets/stars on it but that got moldy. frown So instead she has a ton of dresses gifted from the relatives...

Originally Posted by PMc
    Using the playdough for the phases is a great idea! I'll have to pass that on to DS's teachers, I am sure they would love it!
    Sorry your DD can't see the moon, DS would be grumpy too, it's
    part of his bedtime rountine.

Seriously, don't feel too sorry for her! We live extremely close to a major airport so she can see all the planes landing/taking off from our balcony. Add to that there's a bus station within viewing distance so we have plenty of eye candy for her. laugh

C
    C
    DD brought an "brain test" to her doctor's appointment yesterday for him to complete. It was actually a pretty good grid perplexor about our cat's nicknames and food preferences. She had planned it all out in her head, used a ruler, and her best handwriting. I'm so glad he thought it was funny.

Last edited by Chrys; 03/19/11 07:47 PM.

Warning: sleep deprived
    T
    T
    DD would love those types of outfits but I've never found many cool planets/sun/moon for girls.

How about one of these?

http://www.thespacestore.com/sosytforgi.html
    http://www.thespacestore.com/litforgi.html
    http://www.thespacestore.com/gimesosptand.html

smile

Originally Posted by Trillium
    DD would love those types of outfits but I've never found many cool planets/sun/moon for girls.

How about one of these?

http://www.thespacestore.com/sosytforgi.html
    http://www.thespacestore.com/litforgi.html
    http://www.thespacestore.com/gimesosptand.html

smile

Awesome, thanks!

C
    C
    Wow! 110 pages in three years.

My 15-yr. old son did an astrophysics project relating to star formation. He was 1st in the Siemens Competition and 7th in the Intel Science Talent Search. His project included computer programming in IDL and sophisticated statistical analysis, both of which he had never done. Actually, he's never done any computer programming and this is his first science research project since elementary school.

Being with his intellectual peers at these wonderful competitions has been exhilarating for him. He's heading to college in the fall and is looking forward to more good times ahead.

M
    M
    Hooray for your son, Clark--that's so great!

And welcome to you--we're glad you're here.

C
    C
    He determined that he put in about 800 hours on his project. He loved it! He got the chance to spend three weeks at Princeton working on the project. He loved academia and now wants to be research professor.

Page 106 of 268 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM