Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    Q
    Q
    Kriston, I couldn't help but smile at your card-carrying feminist comment. I loved sports, too (varsity letters through high school and college in four different sports - that shows my age, LOL, they don't allow that anymore..). Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned earlier, I'm the mom, not the dad.

Re: my earlier posts, DS complained succinctly on the way home today about his new school compared to his old. At the old school:

1. "The classroom was quiet."

2. "They didn't teach me things I already know."

Finally, Texas Summer, thanks for the info. I signed him up and paid for CTY and EPGY before I knew about Aleks. And frankly, the move from private to public school made those courses seem like a bargain. But they are expensive. Good to know there are other options, and that there's no problem using what we're using. Thanks for the reassurance.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    To hear him, you'd swear he's verbal. His reading is much more advanced than his math skills. Yet his approach to things is often VS. So he seems to be both. Maybe yours is similar?

I think with these ridiculously smart kids, they're frequently just "fluent in all languages" when it comes to learning!

DS's reading skills are a lot higher than his math skills at this point too, but before kindergarten it was totally backwards. And again - it might be because we emphasized math and played a lot of number games before kindy because that's our background. We read to him alot (well above age level) but we didn't emphasize alphabet or phonics games at all. He knew it all before kindergarten - but I'm not sure how! And I do think he has an easier time getting something closer to his level in the classroom right now in reading. And he sounds verbally advanced sometimes. He totally masks for his age mates.

It just really messes with the GT denial! I had gotten to "it's ok - he's a math geek like his parents.". And now he throws in the verbal angle. Arg!

Sorry, Questions! I meant to get back to your earlier posts (geez, the first was 3 pages ago!). But I got distracted by...everything else! I love days like that on the forum! Especially when my kids are happily occupying themselves! laugh

Originally Posted by questions
    Re: my earlier posts, DS complained succinctly on the way home today about his new school compared to his old. At the old school:

1. "The classroom was quiet."

2. "They didn't teach me things I already know."

Anyway, I'm sorry it's not going well. You say you have no idea what your options are. Are you thinking about staying in the school or are you sold on finding some option outside the current school he's in?

What would your ideal situation look like? I always think it helps to start there and move to the option that looks the most like what you idealize. If you don't know what you want, you certainly won't get it, right?

Kriston
    Originally Posted by kimck
    It just really messes with the GT denial! I had gotten to "it's ok - he's a math geek like his parents.". And now he throws in the verbal angle. Arg!

LOL! It can't ever be easy, can it? They're forever throwing us curve balls to keep us on our toes.

(And yes, even the girls throw 'em! <grin> Okay, I'll behave now!)

Kriston
    Yes, the posts are flying, I can't keep up!

"Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned earlier, I'm the mom, not the dad."-
    Hee Hee Hee!
    Questions, would you like to join our "We are women who think like men club"?
    Kriston and I are co-chairs!
    Anyone else!
    smile

Incog

<guffaw!>

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    I'm smiling... Hey, I've even said publicly that it's thanks to my two brothers that I am who I am today.

There's a reason you and 'Neato are two of my bestest buddies here, Questions. We're all a little off-kilter from the rest of the world, but apparently in very much the same way.

True peers! I just had to be 39 and online to find them! :p

Kriston
    Better late than never!!!
    I

Q
    Q
    A little off-kilter? Moi? LOL!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent