Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #97105 03/17/11 06:56 AM
    OP Offline
    Probably my own perfectionism getting in the way, but I am starting to stress about my DS9's DYS portfolio. Short story, he is one point below the cut on IQ, but his Achievement scores on Explore are way way over. So, I need to do a portfolio.

But what to use? He has some dysgraphia and dislikes writing, and since he goes to public school full time, I don't make him do outside projects (I want him outside playing in the mud and riding his bike), he does some on his own, but they don't involve writing. Can anyone share what they used? I just realized that part of the problem is that I don't really know just what 3 years above grade level looks like.

Last edited by Catalana; 03/17/11 11:03 AM. Reason: I'm not really as neurotic as my original post :)
    Catalana #97154 03/17/11 07:59 PM
    O
    O
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/53332/2.html This link maybe helpful.

There have been other dicussions here on this. Maybe someone here will give advice on searching.

Here's some ideas.

You can send a DVD of something he is above level in. Does he talk about something in Science? Or makeup great stories?
    Can he do some Math verbally?

I printed out AR lists that show above level reading with test scores. This also showed reading volumn.

Chess at an early age can be significant.

I would suggest academic examples more that Legos, Music or Artistic to qualify. But if something seems important to DC/you just include it. Extra is ok.

Has he won any awards? What did he do to earn it.

I think if you explain is talent, you will get more specific to you ideas.

If you have anything from PreSchool or K that was abouve level, I think that is good to show.

Best of Luck!

Last edited by onthegomom; 03/17/11 08:12 PM.
    Catalana #97163 03/18/11 03:34 AM
    OP Offline
    Thanks, both of your perspectives very much help and gave me some ideas. I have called DYS also and hope to hear from them. If his IQ score will keep him from qualifying no matter what, I don't want to bother with the application - it isn't that long, but time is in rather short supply in our house right now. One friend suggested just not sending the IQ score, since it doesn't qualify, but I don't feel right about that.

I suspect if I just start digging in the piles and piles of school and home paper in the attic, I will find some things that will work well (although it will remind me of how much organizing I have to do wink )

Catalana #97165 03/18/11 04:47 AM
    The application states that any testing that was done needs to be submitted so you should submit that IQ report. Don't get overly concerned about missing by a point. There are people that have made it without the IQ but by achievement scores and portfolio.

Do you have a home movie that you can include? Pictures and worksheets or projects are nice but a short clip (less than a couple of minutes) or two say put on thumb drive can be helpful. For example we don't push our kids to perform or anything but it's natural that every now and then they do something amazing when I have a camera ready. (It helps that I have an iPhone so it's real easy to capture something on video.)

Good luck.

JB

JBDad #97170 03/18/11 05:17 AM
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    The application states that any testing that was done needs to be submitted so you should submit that IQ report. Don't get overly concerned about missing by a point.
    JB
    Yup! Go with what you have - they will ask for 'more' if they need it. Send what you have and get it over with.

If you think you are being to perfectionistic, then you probably are! wink!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM