Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
    N
    N
    Can you translate for me? What does MG mean? HG? PG?

Congrats on good scores! We tested through NUMATS as well.

I, too, was surprised by my ds's math scores. Perhaps the test befuddled him somewhat....

DS8 received his results from Belin Blank. He has done very well given that he was ill that week. We are proud and happy but also suprised that he did so much better in the language arts and reading portions than in math. He is by his choice highly accelerated in math so it was indeed surprising but I guess it also makes sense: my theory is that he missed out questions (he mentioned he had) and since he does not like computation and timed tests and also refused to use the calculator, it all adds up. I'm guessing this is something time and patience will help with and am hoping I am not wrong. He is only in third grade after all.

He qualifies for DYS (even with the lower math score) so we are going to try to apply with the EXPLORE result and a portfolio and keep fingers tightly crossed that they won't need IQ results because we don't plan to have him assessed. Whether or not he's PG will probably always remain a question mark to me and I think I'm okay with that now.

I wanted to send my congrats to all your amazing kids for doing the test. It couldn't have been easy despite their obvious smarts...awesome job and I can clearly see the amazing support from parents as well. Very proud to be a part of this forum. And thanks so much to everyone who answered one question or other from this always-anxious mom.

M
    M
    Sorry, MG=moderately gifted, HG=highly gifted, PG=profoundly gifted. There's a thread somewhere that has acronyms.

M
    M
    Oh, and I agree, all of our amazing kids deserve congratulations for taking the test. My DD does not do well in pressure situations. She walked into the room with tears streaming down her face, but she did walk in and take the entire test.

Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    She walked into the room with tears streaming down her face, but she did walk in and take the entire test.

Wow, she is one brave girl. Hugs and lots of respect from me. I disliked tests so much and wonder often how nervous I would have been if I was in DS's shoes. Take care!

Hello,

First thing: I am sorry in advance if I double post this!

Has anyone else received an email from their talent search about mistakes on scoring the Explore test?

Duke sent an email this AM stating "ACT informed Duke TIP today that an error was made on a small percentage of January EXPLORE test score sheets, resulting in erroneously low scores for these students. Other talent searches across the United States that offer EXPLORE as an above-level test were also affected. The problem occurred on students� answer sheets where the test form ID number was not bubbled or was incorrectly bubbled which can alter the scoring system. ACT�s quality control system failed to identify the problem prior to processing, resulting in incorrect scores."

Thankfully, the scores were erroneously LOW. They can only improve from here. Those affected should receive their corrected scores in about two weeks.

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    M
    M
    We didn't get an email (DD took the test through NUMATS). How frustating though.

M
    M
    I actually contacted ACT--EXPLORE division as ds's scores were half of what they were the prior year. We knew something was obviously wrong. ACT has since called me and informed me that his name is on their list of those affected by the scoring error and that his answer sheet is being rescored and we should receive new results by April 2. We tested through Belin-Blank for what it's worth.

It was shocking to open up the report and see such low scores. DS immediately said "Those aren't my scores." and I looked to verify it was his name was on the report. I was encouraged to hear when I called ACT that others had also noted a problem and they were looking into it.

It's frustrating having to wait longer, but glad to know it's being straightened out.

C
    C
    Yes, I spoke to Numats yesterday about something else and heard about this scoring issue. We did find out that dd is not in that pool, but that Numats is in the process of contacting families today. It did sound like it would eventually be fixed.

Warning: sleep deprived
    momto2boys,

Were the results suspiciously low across the board or only on certain subtests?

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM