Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by MidwestDad
    To Mark:

My daughter got 98.5% for her composite (20) and 79 in total. Based on your understanding, the 98.5% is calculated from the last two year statistics.

Am I right?
    Yes.

From the 2011 summary:
    This statistical summary is based on scores from an even larger
    sample of NUMATS test-takers, including all 2009 and 2010 NUMATS test-takers (over 50,000 students).
    This is phrased in a slightly ambiguous way, but based on the counts I read it as including only 2009 and 2010.

Also you need to bear in mind that the summary data is "% scoring same or worse", so even if the data source were the 2011 data, it would be telling you that 98.5% scored 81 or lower total (the top total which gets a 20 composite), and it wouldn't mean that a 79 total is in the top 2%.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, that is a fantastic score and I am in no way meaning to disparage it. I'm just talking about how to interpret the statistics vs the cutoffs.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    [I would also call the program and see if there is going to be a 'meet and greet' of any kind, or if they have any suggestions for the 'find a buddy' problem.
    Good idea!

Last edited by MidwestMom; 04/26/11 12:32 PM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by mark
    To Mark:

My daughter got 98.5% for her composite (20) and 79 in total. Based on your understanding, the 98.5% is calculated from the last two year statistics.

Am I right?
    Yes.

From the 2011 summary:
    This statistical summary is based on scores from an even larger
    sample of NUMATS test-takers, including all 2009 and 2010 NUMATS test-takers (over 50,000 students).
    This is phrased in a slightly ambiguous way, but based on the counts I read it as including only 2009 and 2010.

Also you need to bear in mind that the summary data is "% scoring same or worse", so even if the data source were the 2011 data, it would be telling you that 98.5% scored 81 or lower total (the top total which gets a 20 composite), and it wouldn't mean that a 79 total is in the top 2%.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, that is a fantastic score and I am in no way meaning to disparage it. I'm just talking about how to interpret the statistics vs the cutoffs.

To Mike:

Thanks a lot for your response. Now the result does make sense for me. Maybe NUMATs should also give out the statistic only for 2011, which will avoid some confusion.

For example, if some kids get 99% in composite, but cannot be invited to the award ceremony, it will be very disappointed for the kids because of the confusing statistics.

Last edited by MidwestDad; 04/26/11 12:43 PM.
    M
    M
    Maybe NUMATs should also give out the statistic only for 2011, which will avoid some confusion.

I agree, I'd like to see just the 2011 results.

I'm asking at the risk of sounding very silly. I'm not sure if I calculated DS8's scores correctly. I have both the 2010 and 2011 NUMATS stats (thanks so much to those who shared the links). His composite score was 21 and according to the 2010 stats summary, that's a 100%?. And according to the 2011 stats it's a 99.8%?.

Is anyone able to determine if that's correct?
    Am I reading it right?
    And how would you use this information...is this a more accurate representation of how my child did compared to 8th graders than the percentile given in his score report?
    Is it helpful to advocate at the school level?
    Or if you homeschool, will it be helpful if you need accommodations a year from now through an online high school program that may ask for middle school test scores?
    Is this data even helpful if DS took the Explore via Belin Blank instead of Numats?

So many questions. Statistics isn't my strongest area. Hope the questions don't sound silly. Thanks.

M
    M
    which grade is she in? That is an important parameter.
    If she is in 3rd grade, I think that you are right.

Last edited by MidwestDad; 04/26/11 02:01 PM.
    M
    M
    Assuming that he's in third grade, that's how he compares to other third grade talent search students. I think the percentiles that came with his scores that compare him to typical eigth grade students may be more useful for advocacy, but then I haven't had much luck using DD's.

Thanks MidwestDad, MidwestMom! OK, that makes a lot of sense. I was a little perplexed for a minute. Yes, he's in third. Homeschooled and we're looking at the possibility of starting full time high school for fourth. I'm sorry it wasn't helpful MidwestMom. I'm not sure if it'll be helpful for us either. Several higher ed sources I spoke to don't even seem to know about the Explore (feel close to screaming sometimes).

Last edited by LDmom; 04/26/11 02:14 PM. Reason: hit submit too quickly
    Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM