Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #96659 03/11/11 06:59 AM
    A
    aly Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello,
    I have been struggling with DS8 at school and was sooo happy to find this board.
    He is in a 3rd grade gifted program, having skipped a grade and is doing well overall. However, he started coming home with some very poor grades eg C/Ds. This is both in tests and class work. The teacher told me he has inattentive ADD (which we suspected but were trying to deny) and we finally put him on Concerta 18mg 3 weeks ago. Apparently his organisation and focus improved drammatically. His grades have improved but he is now so emotional. He cried in school yesterday because he got a B in a math test - not good for a 3rd grade boy. His previous D didn't bother him that much ("I'll do better next time"). He has cried at his basketball game (when the ref said he fouled someone)and numerous times at home.
    He hates feeling miserable and wants to come off the meds. I just don't know what to do. He has definitely improved and actually needs a higher dose since his mind still races. Yesterday he did some math homework where he got the right answer immediately but then got very frustrated because he couldn't figure out how he had gotten the answer - his mind was racing so much.
    Has anyone else had similar experiences? Can anyone give me some suggestions....or even some hope?!
    Thank you

Hi Aly,
    Welcome. First of all 'wow' to your school and your son for a gradeskip allowed in a school that has a gifted program. It sounds as though all his classes are in the gifted program, or are some in the regualar classroom?

It's great that your son has gotten enough benifit from the Concerta to show you that he might be a kid that benifits from medication. It's very very unusal for a kid to find a medication type and dose that works 'well enough' right from the begining. Had you tried a few other combinations before you hit on the Concerta, or is this the first one.

I have to say that 'the medication merry-go-round' isn't my favorite ride at the amusement park of life, but when a kid finds a medication and dose that work for him or her, that makes all the aggrivation worth it. So call your doctor, tell her/him what is up, and buy your ticket to the medication merry-go-round, because I hear music starting up and it's time to try again.

My son found his best med after trying 4 stimulents, at varying doses, to finally find one that makes him feel 'more like himself' than he does even without the medication.

Also good to remember that other supports are usually needed, such as help with organizational skills, learning how to study, getting used to having to make an efforts at school, meditation, a good balance of physical activity, spiritual balance, good nutrition. My favorite parenting book for Intense and sensitive kids is
    http://www.amazon.com/Transforming-Difficult-Child-Workbook-Interactive/dp/0967050758

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    aly Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for your reply.
    I called the doctor as you suggested and have an appointment for Monday to change his meds. Hope it all works out. It's so hard to see him frustrated
    Yes - DS is in all gifted classes. This is great as the teacher is used to how different gifted kids can be. (She was fine with him ditching the gingerbread house to make a gingerbread car instead!)

My DD is 8.5 and also in third grade. She is HG and has ADHD, as well. We have only tried one medication with her (Biphentin), but her mood has been adversely effected by dose increases. She should be taking 20mg by weight, but she cannot cope with life on that dose. It makes her overly emotional. She cries at the drop of a hat and has rage-like tantrums that she has never had before in her life. She also displayed symptoms of depression. We bumped her down to 15 mg and she is a different kid. Our problem now is that her ADHD is not as well managed as it could be and we are in the process of considering a different med altogether.

It really is a bit of trial and error, for each child is different. Both our pediatrician and pharmacist suggested that stimulant meds take at least a few weeks for the body to fully adjust to. And I will agree that it took about two-three weeks for any side effects to settle down (decreased appetite, trouble sleeping, etc.). However, when her mood was affected it never did get any better.

Good for you for making an appointment with your doctor. It is incredibly hard to watch your child go through these types of frustrations, knowing that it may be medication related. I have spent a few sleepless night wondering if I am doing the right thing for my child. My DD constantly reassures me that she can't cope without her meds, and that helps me feel better.

Good luck finding a better med or dose!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    I'll echo what others have said - finding the right medication and dosage is often a trial and error thing. These kind of emotional side effects are not uncommon and I am glad you will be working with the doctor to trial a different formula.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM