Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #96470 03/09/11 09:36 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I just wanted to post this in case anyone is interested - I follow the author's adoption blog, and thought their history curriculum might be of interest to some of the homeschoolers here. Here's the link - http://www.biblioplan.net/ smile

I wanted to ask something about history recently. I looked at the sales page for "history at our house". I liked how they said it covers the whole history of the world in chronological order three times. The first time is for young kids to be exposed to important historical people and events, at least by name. The second was about the details, and the third was to anylize and ask questions. I wanted a complete secular history cirriculum since" the history of the world" which is the most recommended on the well trained mind forum is slightly religious slanted, according to the reviews. Does anyone know of a good one but without the religious slant but that's in textbook, encyclopedia, or software form? Hopefully one that spirals.

Let me add a cute story. The boy has a five-gallon water jug as a piggy bank. Since he has graduated from collecting coins to collecting George Washington dollars with the eagle and the castle (pyramid) I bought some pennies and showed him how to stack the pennies to earn loose dollars. To slow him down from asking because I don't want heavy change in my purse but I like George Washington. He knows Thomas Jefferson is not George Washington and he can't have those. I don't know who told him or if he saw it on tv, but he was stacking his pennies and said, "can I have a Ben Franklin?"

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Hmmmm-- that sounds rather like a modification/melding of WTM and Charlotte Mason methodology, L Texican. In noting that, do be aware that this may be a strategy that GT kiddos tolerate rather poorly. Mine really did NOT enjoy 'skimming the surface' only to have it reappear again in a year or so. It irritates her. Intensely. So much as I like that approach, it was one that I had to reluctantly give up, as least as it applies to EG/PG DD. IMMV, however. The didactic method in Charlotte Mason/Classical HSing was a huge hit with DD, I must say. She loves to talk. whistle

Usborne has a good "world history" book that we used when DD was about 5-6yo/2nd-3rd grade.
    Some Charlotte Mason handbooks have reference lists which have a lot of good ideas for covering this same material, La Texican.

I agree that there are some distressingly subtle ethnocentric-religious perspectives fairly insidiously placed in CHOW, and while we have a copy (because my DD took this course as an elective through Calvert when she was 6), I can't say that I recommend it to secular humanist folks. At least not in isolation.

I also will say that I think both the Usborne and CHOW would be far, far too basic for most GT kids by age 8-9.

HTH!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I agree that there are some distressingly subtle ethnocentric-religious perspectives fairly insidiously placed in CHOW, and while we have a copy (because my DD took this course as an elective through Calvert when she was 6), I can't say that I recommend it to secular humanist folks. At least not in isolation.

HTH!

I agree--I personally am a Christian--but also a history major...and, ummmmm...yes, what you said!

The only way we've managed to get through history in a non-religious manner is by using a mish-mash of material. We watch lots of discovery, history and PBS stuff (thanks netflix!)We use a couple of college level textbooks and spend a lot of time on-line researching.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM