Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 215 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    #983 08/02/06 02:55 AM
    S
    S
    Ok, I'd like to beat up my ped. right now! mad On page 50 under Hyperfocus it says "It is important to note that there are no empirical data that support hyperfocus as an aspect of ADD/ADHD." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Does anyone else get the vibe that I'll be buying him a copy of this and handing it to him at my son's next appointment? I've already made the appointment...just have to get the book for him.... laugh Perhaps I will highlight some of my favorite parts for him ahead of time too.... :p

M.

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
    interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
    eating." -Anonymous
    #984 08/08/06 03:44 AM
    S
    S
    I finished the book today while waiting for my son at his appt. The Dr. was just thrilled with him and she said he was so delightful. She said he seems to be thriving just fine with the schooling he's doing and that she doesn't see that it has been detrimental to his social developments and in fact is beneficial to his educational needs. She said she sees no reason why he can't strive to complete 4th and 5th grade this year since that's what he is saying he wants to do this school year as he is already testing on a 5th and 6th grade level. YAHOO! I can't wait for the ped. to get HIS copy of her eval. cool laugh :p She said she is sure that ADHD is in fact present and that he does suffer from Dysgraphia (sp?) as well as he has a hard time with his handwriting which is seen in about 80% of ADHD kids. I am sad to think of him continuing on his medication yet happy to know that he's ok in all the aspects our ped. was trying to get me worked up and concerned about. Still, I will keep this book handy as it was a great read and incredibly enlightening in many ways! Thanks again for the reccommendation! Now onto the next one!

M.

"Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not
    interested it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it
    eating." -Anonymous
    #985 08/08/06 04:41 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    oops I meant www.mislabeledchild.com (great for us with 2Es.

I'm glad to see my opinion of Misdiagnosis is supported here. I want to throw the book at the neuropsych. who never met Mite last month, but based on test scores decided he had ADHD and NLD. Both had already been thrown out by the pediatrician, pediatric neurologist and the district educational psych. because Mite is very attentive and aware of his surroundings and is very socially appropriate.

Anyhow....I've learned so much about my kid through those two books.

Trinity, I'm looking into Different Minds

Willa Gayle
    luckily my library system has a copy and I am on the HOLD list!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM